Calibration issue

So I got my lovely :glowforge: today, got everything setup properly and even made a founders ruler. Pretty seamless! It is an amazing machine!

Got the girls to do a couple of drawings so we could test out the trace feature, and now all of a sudden the :glowforge: wont calibrate. “Sorry we are have trouble calibrating. Try turning your Glowforge off and on. If that doesn’t help, contact support@glowforge.com.”

Now before you say anything, I’ve already sent this in to support, but I was wondering if any of you have had any issues with calibration.

I have already rebooted it a few times and reset the gantry and laser head to no avail.

20 Likes

Yeah, I’ve seen it a couple of times today. They might be working on something behind the scenes again.

3 Likes

Does it move at all, or does it just sit there? Does the button change colors?

If it moves and then gives you the error, I would recommend turning off the Glowforge, moving the head directly under the camera, and turning it back on.

4 Likes

Yes it moves, and it even lines it self up right under the camera. After that its just hangs then displays the error.

I just tried what you suggested manually. When I turned it back on it did some micro adjustments which better lined itself up to the camera, then after a few minutes displayed that error again.

1 Like

Hmmm looks like completely unplugging it for a few seconds did the trick. Interesting…

7 Likes

Off doesn’t always mean things are off. :slight_smile: Unplugging will actually allow all power to drain. So it’s a little different and sometimes necessary.

SO glad it’s working for you again!

7 Likes

I don’t know if it’s related at all, but starting yesterday my alignment was way off. Turning off/on helped, but after every few uses the camera would be as much as 1/4" off. I wasn’t sure if it was just my machine or an update issue. It does seem better today, but did happen again just one time.

2 Likes

Make sure you did not touch either camera lens or the golden laser window. If so, clean them with an appropriate wipe.

2 Likes

There is an accumulation of error in lid camera positioning through repeated operations. Somewhere is a statement from Dan regarding this, if I can recall correctly. I have not tested it as to how much accumulates through how many prints, but I have noted that I need to turn off totally every once and a while if I am trying to position with the camera on a small spot.

4 Likes

Correct. He suggested turning it off every day to prevent the positioning drift.

2 Likes

Thanks. “Drift” was the magic word, not accumulate.

3 Likes

A couple of things…

1. Make sure you have the correct material depth set.
  2. As @marmak3261 said, power off every once in a while.
  3. Clean as per the documentation.

I had that happen to me once. Just once. And I bounced it and it was fine again.

4 Likes

BTW, there’s a question I’ve had for a while about what Dan said. It seems to imply that there’s a way to reboot that isn’t just power cycling. Or am I reading too much into that?

1 Like

If there is I haven’t been able to figure it out. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Me either.

2 Likes