Calibration Off

I am getting ready to use my pass through for the first time, so before I start I cleaned my machine and ran the camera calibration and this is what I got 5 times! I turned off the Glowforge and turned it back on, but it hasn’t helped. What should I do?

That is well within specs (center of X within inner circle).

Really! Wow okay! I obviously thought it had to be spot on. Thank you!

Very last sentence in the process:

The center of the target should be inside the small circle.

Looks pretty good to me. You ought to see one that’s really off.

It may look good but no matter what I do the cuts aren’t lining up. The focus keeps shifting.

1 Like

I’m so sorry to hear that you’ve hit this snag. I’ve extracted the log files from your Glowforge to review this print, and compare it with the image you’ve provided.

It looks like your Glowforge is performing to specifications. If you’d like, you can use the Camera Recalibrator to see if further improvement is possible. It will only make changes if it can make your camera more accurate; otherwise, it will exit without any changes. It takes about half an hour.

You’ll need a 12” x 20” piece of Proofgrade material with no markings or stickers. The feature was designed to be used with a flat piece of medium Proofgrade Draftboard, used upside-down (with the QR code side down). It may work with other materials that are the same size and use the same print settings as well, like Proofgrade plywood.

It prints a grid of markings, takes a picture, then measures its height in multiple locations. This data is used to make your camera more accurate for future prints.

To get started, click on this link: Launch the Camera Recalibrator

Let us know how it goes!

Thank you Marc, I will try that.

The camera is generally less good near the extreme outer corners of the bed due to its fish eye nature. From your pic it looks like you’re testing at the far top left. It’ll be much better, likely perfect, right under the lid camera or nearer the center of the bed.

To be noted, that is where the calibration process tells you to print the “precision preview test pattern” to verify camera accuracy. Personally, I put one in each corner and a couple more in the middle. Mine was really bad before calibration, over 2" in the lower right.

Interesting, is that new?
It’s been quite a while since I calibrated and I seem to remember it asking for four corners and center.

Thank you Marc! That did the trick, it is spot on now. I think my glow forge wasn’t level, so I made some adjustments and did the Camera Recalibrator and bingo! I appreciate your guidance. ![IMG_4099|375x500](upload://eT

eIt5WM05usKdBSvLgcc90hWFY.jpeg)

1 Like

Thank you for working through those steps! I’m so glad to hear that the Camera Recalibration helped to improve the alignment on your Glowforge.

I’ll close this thread for now, but please don’t hesitate to reach out to us directly at support@glowforge.com if you run into any more trouble. We’re here to help.