Calibration...won't function normally

I have turned it on, turned it off, unplugged it, signed out of the app but still the machine is not acting right and is stuck in calibration. It doesn’t act right when starting up. When I open and then close the lid, the head will then move around a bit with the light button blinking. But then it seems to go to sleep and nothing happens unless I open and close the lid again.

Is this a ‘cloud’ issue or is this specific to my machine?

It is now working! I was getting scared because now I have a couple of deadlines.

But it is super hot for some reason and I had to cancel the job. All the settings were normal and I don’t normally cut full strength but at 100. But it normally isn’t this hot with so much charring.

Now it is stuck in calibration again…

Probably need to get a little bit more information.

Is the strange behavior coming when you first turn on the machine?
Is there a cooling message in the App when you see the unit pause?
Are you trying to cut Proofgrade materials with the default settings?
Is the button on the Glowforge unit lit with any color?

1 Like

I am using non-proofgrade 1/8 inch birch plywood. I am using settings that have consistently worked in the past without scorching.

The primary problem seems to be it is stuck in calibration. The one time when it got past that, and I started cutting, it cut way too hot, scorching the wood and smoking heavily. I canceled the operation but also noticed a warning on the screen about it getting too hot. Now it is stuck in calibration mode again.

When I first turned on the machine earlier, it didn’t do anything. Now it does, but it doesn’t seem to complete the cycle.

What’s the room temperature there, and do you have a Basic or a Pro model?

I have basic and right now, because a cold front passed through, I actually have the house down to 70. That is unusual in Texas this time of year. I have been using it at much higher temps than this.

I do wish a warning was offered about the temperature issue. Being in Texas during a hot summer, it has been an unexpected problem for me.

Temperature should be good up to about 75° for the Basic model, but the machine does run a few degrees hotter than the ambient air.

One thing that people have had luck with is leaving the machine turned off when not in use to keep it from overheating, leaving the lid up between prints for a few minutes to let it cool, and directing cool air at the right side of the machine with a fan . Even better if you can set the machine up on supports (there are runners underneath it) to get more air circulating under there from the right side.

I do appreciate that. I am going to get a portable ac unit specifically for that room, because when it was really hot outside, it really isn’t practical to keep the house close to 75 (and it isn’t cost efficient either). The unit works better with engraving and light cutting in warmer temperatures but heavy cutting, even at 75, has been difficult and tedious. This is why I am getting an ac unit. But today’s problem seems unrelated to that. I just hope it can start working again. I have a couple of important projects that I need to get done with it this week and right now I am worried.

1 Like

Well, if it is a cooling issue, there should be a message in the app about it. (Right next to the Start Print button.) Although I think I remember a couple of people lately saying they didn’t see one (bug) so that might be all it is in your case too.

I’d try chilling it as much as possible and see if you can get it going. (Won’t hurt to try.)

The main problem right now is that it is stuck in calibrating mode. I cannot chill it below 70 degrees and since it operated before at a significantly higher temperature, I cannot believe that is the issue. Something else is going on here, and like I said, I am very worried.

If the Wifi is stuck, it sometimes helps to do these tips from the Troubleshooting section:

Try this first:
Restart all the devices.
Turn off the computer, phone, or tablet that you’re using.
Turn off your Glowforge.
Unplug your modem.
Unplug your Wi-Fi access point.
Wait one minute, then plug everything back in and turn them back on.

If that doesn’t do it, try the more labor intensive fixes:
Improve the signal path between your Glowforge and your Wi-Fi access point.
Wi-Fi signals need a clear path. Remove physical barriers, and move devices closer together:

Move your Wi-Fi access point up high and make sure it’s in an open space. Avoid locating your Wi-Fi access point on the ground, under a desk, in a cabinet, or in a corner where its signal can be blocked.
Relocate your Wi-Fi access point closer to your Glowforge.
Move your Glowforge closer to your Wi-Fi access point.
Install a Wi-Fi range extender closer to your Glowforge.
Run an ethernet cable and install a second Wi-Fi access point next to your Glowforge.

Also check:

Reduce electronic and Wi-Fi interference.
If your unit is near other devices that use Wi-Fi or a large number of electronics, temporarily turn off other electronics and devices in the area.

See if any of those tips get you going.

2 Likes

I did that and it is still stuck. :frowning:

Well, you’ll probably need to let support look at the logs if you don’t want to try again while waiting. Sometimes it works on subsequent attempts.

One other thing recommended for them to analyze:

Good luck! :neutral_face:

You might try this:

https://community.glowforge.com/t/calibrating-offline-and-purple-light/25915/14?u=jbmanning5

It seems like on some machines, the calibration process and the update process are butting heads (speculation). Opening the lid should keep the calibration process from starting and let the system update.

Thank you for all your help! My son seems to have fixed the problem! It’s printing again!

I’m so sorry to hear you ran into trouble, and I’m glad to hear you’re printing again! Just in case you run into the issue again, I’d like to let you know what we found. To investigate your report, I took a look at the images taken by the lid camera on your Glowforge at the time you were having trouble, and it looks like there was some buildup of dust and residue over the course of some recent prints. When the camera lens is dirty or obstructed in this way, it may cause calibration problems.

If you run into the problem again, it may help to follow the “Wipe Camera Lens” step located on our support page here for “Things That Need Wiping”.

I’ll close this topic now, but if you hit any other snags please open a new thread, or email us at support@glowforge.com. We’re here to help!

1 Like