Camera Alignment and poor circle quality

Having some issues with my GF which seem to continue to erode as time goes on. I cut very simple shapes, Rectangles with rounded edges and circles in those. When i first recieved my first GF its cuts were perfect, no changes to the file and its now terrible and blowing through material like its melting butter, expensive butter.

I typically place my projects within 1/8-1/4" inside of the material but i recently have been problems with camera alignment and with that placement it will be completely out of whack. This is with 1/8" proofgrade Clear acrylic. Lenses are perfectly clean and properly seated. 10%20PM32%20PM

Also my circles have changed from being within a few thousanths in round to completely out of round ellipse/hotdog shapes. Green is from 2 months ago, same file, same machine.

Again, no change to the file, just seems to get worse with every update. Any suggestions?

I’d start with making sure your gantry is squared and a good cleaning to make sure that you don’t have anything on the rails.

Here is some info on squares, but it would certainly apply to perfect circles as well:

https://glowforge.com/support/topic/troubleshooting/perfect-squares

2 Likes

Gantry is square, check that often, been through this often with my other 3 Chinese lasers and obtaining perfect alignment.

Does it do that on all of the circles, or just one once in a while or at a certain spot that you are trying to print on the bed?

1 Like

It does this on any circle that is under 1/2" in diameter. If i was able to calibrate step/distance on the GF it wouldnt be an issue much like the chinesium lasers where you can dial it in as needed.

Does slowing it down do any good?

Any extra slop in the belts?

1 Like

Are you using the Proofgrade default settings for it?

Yes, and it does the same regardless of proofgrade material or not.

Havnt tried slowing it down, but with how slow the GF cuts at default it shouldnt be a problem.

So i have been having somewhat similar problem with circles. Like some of them are fine but every often there will be a few spots that get the GF speeds faster then the rest for some odd reason. Which doesn’t let it get cut as well as the rest

This is exactly the same problem I’m having with out of alignment camera - only since the update a couple weeks ago. I have an open post with support somewhere. I’ll have to take a closer look at my circles too.

This is pretty annoying , cant get anything to cut decent circles now and considering that’s all i use this machine for, its kind of a paperweight for me at this point.

I’m so sorry, I hope they fix it for you fast. I honestly am amazed people put laptops and cellphones into their machines, from how unexpectedly inaccurate mine has been. I’m going to try some circles now… perhaps it will be as simple as a software update. :confused:

I’ve done it. :man_shrugging:t2: it takes about 10 seconds to score the outline on a piece of chipboard and put the laptop on top of the score marks.

2 Likes

Thanks for letting me know about this. I’m so sorry your prints haven’t been turning out the way you expect.

I have a few questions about the circles that are not round when printed:

1. Are all the holes under 1/2" printing this way, or just some of them?
  2. Do you see the issue on other materials, or just acrylic?

I’d also like to have you try a few troubleshooting steps:

1. Turn off your Glowforge.
  2. Check for small pieces of debris or dust.
    • Check the lower door to make sure it closes all the way. It may require some force to open, but open it, wipe any dust off the edges, and close it all the way.
    • Remove the tray and clean any dust or debris from the surface underneath. Pay careful attention to remove all debris from the four dimples where the tray rests.
    • Check the lid to make sure it closes all the way. Small particles of material, such as dust or debris, can prevent it from closing completely.
  3. Check the surface your Glowforge is on to make sure it’s flat. Ensure it is not twisted slightly and that there is no debris propping up one side of the machine.
  4. Turn your Glowforge back on.
  5. We included an extra piece of Proofgrade Draftboard with your materials shipment for troubleshooting. Place the Proofgrade Draftboard in the center of the bed and print the Gift of Good Measure using the default settings.
  6. When the print finishes, leave the lid closed and wait until the fans stop and the picture updates.
  7. Without moving your artwork or your material, take a screenshot of the Workspace to show us the difference between the artwork placement and the actual print placement. Make sure to include the rulers in your screenshot and show as much of the bed as possible.
    • Mac: Press Shift-Command-4 and click and drag a box around your image. You’ll find the screenshot file saved on your desktop.
    • Windows: Click on the Start Menu and type “snipping tool”. Open the Snipping Tool > New then click and drag a box around your image. Click the Save icon and name and save your file.
  8. Send us the screenshot along with the date and time of the print, and we’ll investigate.

Thank you in advance!

Hi Jaz,

To answer your questions-

Yes, all holes under 1/2" are not printing as complete circles, they have flat spots, particularly in the y axis. Same results regardless of material type.

Bed is clean, no alignment issues with the bed or debris in the door or under tray.

I have completed the requested cut with attached screenshots-

Thanks,

Ian

Also, here is a closeup of the unit of good measure print, you can see the distortion in the circles pretty good.

Wow. That’s just weird.

I’m thinking something along the lines of a timing issue with one of the steppers, a worn tooth in one of the belts, or vibration from the table. Definitely looks mechanical. (But I’ve been wrong before.)

Do you have it on a really stable base table? Very solid legs?

Yea the unit is placed upon a very sturdy workbench.