Camera Alignment

I’m having trouble with alignment now. When I first got the machine, it cut everything dead on, and now it seems everything is running about .25" off to the left no matter where I place my patterns on the work area. I’m currently placing my patterns .25" to the right to compensate, but working with leather scraps I am often trying to use every last bit.

1 Like

Have you turned the power on & off recently? If you leave it powered for long periods (I used to keep it on for days) its alignment drifts.

If you repower it regularly that’s not the problem :slight_smile:

1 Like

If it drifts that implies the stepper motors are getting out of sync. I wonder if it is related to the ticking sounds at the end of a build: Clicking/tapping sound after fan shuts off. Are the motors moving slightly?

First of all, @jamesdhatch is right about power-cycling. It must be done periodically (for some reason) to “reset” the accuracy.

Next, they tell us that being off by up to .25" is within spec at this time. (Personally, I think that’s horrible and impossible to work with, but it is what it is.) However, that should be at the extremes of the bed. Directly under the camera should be particularly accurate.

Also, be sure you’ve cleaned everything as instructed. Can make a huge difference.

And, they appear to make changes to both software and firmware without warning. They may have pushed something out to everybody, a group, or your machine specifically. Obviously if they did that it was with the intention of correcting something. But, unfortunately, that simply won’t always have the desired results.

All of that said, if your unit isn’t functioning as expected, you should definitely open a thread in Problems and Support ASAP so somebody can take a look.

1 Like

Stepper motors can get very hot if they are engaged but not moving for long periods of time. I have to wonder if there is protection built in to the machine to prevent them from getting too hot, or if they are going in to thermal shutdown at some point causing them to lose position.

They don’t get significantly hotter than when they are moving as they are usually driven with constant current drivers. Since they can be moving for many hours one would assume the current is set so they don’t get too hot.

1 Like

Heh. They could do any number of things to let us know what’s happening. A simple e-mail “We’ll be performing maintenance on 06-OCT-2017 at 20:00 EDT. We expect it to last for about an hour. During that time your performance and/or accuracy may be impacted. Please plan accordingly.”

I just wish they’d do something to let us know. And, hey… if it’s not the best method, try a different one. The important part is making the effort at this point.

1 Like

We use the Latest Updates section to let people know when there are changes.

Mmmm… To be more precise, you use the section after you’ve made changes. There’s no warning and no indication that a change is happening. I don’t know how often you’ve pushed FW updates, if at all. But that doesn’t take 0 seconds. But I assure you I wouldn’t run a job if I knew you were about to push something.

Well, wait… Maybe I’m assuming it’d matter. If you push a SW or FW update, would it break a job-in-progress? If not, then I suppose I don’t much care beforehand. But, otherwise…

2 Likes

Based on everyone’s feedback, we post before the changes go live.

Updates do not interfere with an ongoing session. Usually a reboot or refresh is required to get it.

6 Likes

That’s great to know. Matter of fact, that should probably be a sticky.
Not sure if you’ve noticed, but there’s always a lot of speculation around that point when more than 1 person has a similar issue cutting around the same time. And that leads to people being upset that they weren’t warned about a theoretical update.

1 Like

It would be nice to have the button color change to indicate “Update pending, please reboot” maybe with a pulse fade on the button.

It should also be reflected in the UI.

6 Likes

Yesterday between runs the machine re-calibrated. First time I had seen that.

I’ve seen that a few times. No idea what triggers it. But I think it’s relatively routine.

2 Likes

Is there an RSS or some other way we can set up an asynchronous notification of changes?

1 Like

I’ve seen that happen several times since I got mine in July, the most recent was when they released the new bitmap engraving features in the UI. Kinda nifty when you’re in the middle of setting up the next job, the machine starts calibrating out of the blue and after refreshing you got new settings to play with. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

When it does that to me, it feels very much like the firmware crashed and rebooted.

It’s funny… When it does that to me I’m always half-paying attention (setting something up in the GFUI or something) and I kinda go “Wait… Did that just happen? I swear it was Ready a few seconds ago.” And for a moment I get nervous there’s a problem, but then it just finishes and goes Ready and I’m good to go.

1 Like

Probably did that a dozen times for me today. I figured it was because I was opening & closing it a lot today(MakerFaire). I noticed it because I was surrounded by people who were watching the GFUI on a large screen and they’d ask what it was doing all the time.

3 Likes

Your day go well?

1 Like