Camera and cut not matching up

Hi there, new glow forge user. When the camera image is on the screen it is fine but when it cuts it isn’t cutting on the upper edge where I aligned it to be. It is leaving almost 2 inches from the top and wasting space. Do I need to do a whole calibration for this. When it is on my screen and I place the project I want to cut it shows the edge of the wood correctly with no space. Crumb tray is in properly.
Thank you.

The camera shows the usable area of the material, not the entirety. Look at the printhead in its home position in the upper left corner. It cannot physically move any farther back or to the left. There will always be unused material at the top and left of a piece of Proofgrade material. Orient your artwork relative to the lower right corner to maximize the material. The Glowforge print area is approximately 10.9" x 19.5" and less than this for designs with engraves.

6 Likes

This is the normal amount of wasted space? I’ve been watching videos and have seen people use up to the edge.

1 Like

This diagram might help to explain it. There is about an inch of material hidden underneath the thumbnail column on the left, and at the top. The screen view is limited to the area that the head can reach. If you want to use a whole sheet of material, work out from the lower right corner. (Black Star) Make sure the metal gridded area is completely covered with material.

6 Likes

Looks pretty normal. You could use that space, but you’d have to turn the material around so that part is on the bottom…then slide it upwards a little on the crumb tray. You’ll learn to manipulate things to make the most of of them.

4 Likes

This is normal.

5 Likes

Totally normal looking for full size 12x20 sheet of material. It’s totally counterintuitive but it’s actually easier to get the most out of your material by lining stuff up to the lower right instead of upper left.

If anyone on the videos you’ve watched is getting to the top of the sheet they’ve been placing a partial sheet lower down.

6 Likes

Thank you so much! Good to know!

1 Like

Thank you everyone! Learning along the way!

3 Likes

i found cutting a full board to what I need allows full use of the material. these two pieces are a full sheet. Two operations, but saves material.

Have Fun! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.