Camera out of calibration

My cuts has been out of calibration since I bought my GF, and just recently the the gap became extreme. Is there a way that I can recalibrate my GF? if not, what can I do to get it calibrated?

1 Like

Yes, there is a ReCalibration program for the machine listed here:
(Be sure to read the part about using the Set Focus tool as well.) :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

The Glowforge specs say camera alignment is accurate to at least 1/4". What is your experience, and was it better and now getting worse?

It wasn’t really with the 1/4 in at first, but it still printed in the same spot that I chose. Now its at least 1in out of alignment.

A whole inch out of alignment usually indicates a mechanical problem.

That could be anything from you bumped the head while the machine was turned on and it got “lost” from it’s former position.

Or it could be that when you started the machine the head did not start from the home position in the upper lefthand corner.

Or it could be that the red auto-focus beam landed off of the material and fell into a hole. (Usually that won’t shift it a whole inch but it might be possible.)

Or it could be that the material is dark and the camera could not locate the red targeting laser dot.

Or you could be thinking that the upper lefthand corner is the origin on the board, and when you look at the prints, the actual results are about an inch in from the left edge of the material. (Prints are always about an inch in from the left edge of the material, the laser head can’t reach all the way to the left or top of the board.)

Any of those sound likely?

Possibly. Tomorrow I’m going to try the alignment steps and I’ll see what it gives me then.

The calibration will probably help. Just about everyone runs it once they get their machine in place.

Thanks for the answer @jules, that’s right. @wilfsimb would you let us know how the Camera Recalibration goes?

1 Like

I did the Alignment and now it’s better than before. Thank you @Jules for providing the help.

2 Likes

I’m glad you resolved it! Thank you for the help @jules! I’m going to close this thread. If you run into any other trouble, please start a new topic, or email us at support@glowforge.com. We’re here to help!

1 Like