Can I engrave onto a shirt?

qa

Curious if I can engrave a logo into a polo shirt or something like that… would be a cool change from traditional embroidery or screen print. :slight_smile:

As far as I have seen a laser engraver should be able to “fade” heavier denim etc. I have wondered if there could be any fabric paint that could be heat set and wash the remainder away, or even as a more extreme thought, say for example layer three colours and burn each away with varying laser power settings. Probably dreaming tho… :slight_smile:
At very least our Glowforge should be wicked for cutting stencils for use on fabric.

I think you pegged it here, I have learned from my CNC router that if you can’t make what you want directly you can always make the tools, templets, or jigs to do it another way.

I definitely plan to use it for stencils. But I
Like the idea of playing with paints! Jacquard and Tulip are the two most popular brands that I’m aware of (I buy Jacquard) but I have no idea if anyone has tried this before.

So what about the image on the web site of fabric that looks like it’s been engraved? I’m wondering if it’s possible somehow to do that to a nice shirt, or even a t-shirt for that matter… maybe some kind of platform to hold the rest of the shirt down while the area to engrave is exposed?

We’ve engraved a denim jacket (in the video) - is that what you mean? I’ve seen a number of fabrics laser engraved by other devices but we’ve only experimented with the denim.

Not engraving but you can cut these thermal adhesives with a laser… (even the Glitter, I had to email and ask for my daughter… honest). http://www.stahls.ca/twill-applique-fabric-material . Obviously stay away from the vinyl section for the laser.

@dan do you know if the laser will cut through something like nylon or polyester and leave a heat-sealed edge? That would be sweet! No more pinking shears!

Shoot, I missed the denim jacket in the video, need to watch again. :smile:

At my day job I do a lot of creating/designing for screen printed apparel and we’ve experimented with all kinds of trick inks and materials. I think the Glowforge might be another neat new way to decorate apparel, if anything maybe just for making myself some uniquely different polos and t-shirts for my other job… a photo studio. :slight_smile:

I wonder if fumes would be an issue if you lasered on fabric paint? Wouldn’t it look cool to have layers of paint and then laser off designs at different depths?