Can I laser on to canvas

Hi can I laser engrave on canvass. if so do you mask them before engraving

Canvas is made of lots of fibers and any engraving will be burning away those fibers unless it is nylon fibers at which time it will melt them and instead of falling apart the melted fibers will keep it from doing so. So if the canvas is all-natural fiber then the engrave needs to be very lite or the fabric will fall apart if it is part plastic then it will leave a noticeable change of texture. In either case, do not expect that any darkening will stay in place after it is washed as several people have noted that any darkening will wash right out.

3 Likes

Yes canvas is pretty well represented here.

Check out @shogun’s painted canvas work. Very cool.

6 Likes

I talking about canvas boards which people hang on walls. not canvas you wash. can I engrave on canvas boards if so do you mak them

1 Like

See above:

I’ll even make it easy for you, you can search for
“@shogun in:first canvas”, which will show you all threads that @shogun started with canvas in them. Like this:

https://community.glowforge.com/search?q=%40shogun%20in%3Afirst%20canvas

5 Likes

@shogun 's stuff is amazing but I think that in that case, it is the paint that is engraved more than the canvas. If the canvas is glued well to the board then the falling apart of loose canvas would not be an issue. Any dark coloring however will still be loose and need at least something like a workable fixative to keep it from smudging if touched.

1 Like

Most of the canvas boards I use seem to have some kind of thin coating to them (maybe like mod-podge?) The white canvas changes color to kind of a dingy brown when lasered. I have had good results with black canvas and painting a top layer (white or other color) before lasering. It does create a huge amount of dust, so a can of compressed air or a dry brush is your buddy.

3 Likes

Maybe pre-gesso’ed?

6 Likes

It’s called gesso.

3 Likes

I use canvas board (mostly from Dollar Tree and Dollar General) and they work great. Read everything that @shogun has posted, all of my successes were from emulating and/or modifying his procedures. He is a wealth of knowledge with painted canvas ( you can also search and look at some of my results in my profile if you would like more examples). Let us know how you are doing and we look forward to seeing your creations.

3 Likes

I have bought small “canvas” frames from the dollar store and also hobby lobby, or possibly michaels. Results were drastically different. Whatever they are coated with is non consistent.

I suggest testing, or spraying with paint and using the technique popular on tile.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.