Can I run my Glowforge Basic on a non grounded 3-prong outlet?

I am still in the setup phases. I finally completed my venting setup, had my husband replace our 2-prong outlet with a CGFI 3-prong outlet, only to realize the outlet is still not grounded.
So my question is… since the GF Basic is a Class 1 laser, does that mean it definitely needs a grounded outlet?

If so, it sounds like we have a lot of work to do before I can even turn this thing on…

Yes all equipment like this needs an earth.

4 Likes

Without a ground, you run the risk of harming yourself and/or destroying your Glowforge (this applies to computers too.) Think of it this way, what would cost more, replacing your Glowforge or having an electrician rewire a couple outlets for you?

We had a separate circuit added for our Glowforge w/ Air Filter it only cost a couple hundred dollars.

1 Like

Ground is definitely needed. Adding ground should not be that difficult if you or husband feel comfortable with electric repairs if not get a pro to do it. In the meantime an oversized extension cord to a grounded outlet can get you going.

1 Like

Thanks for the input. We were nervous it would be a larger/more expensive under-taking to add ground, so I will definitely look into this option now.

And for some reason, I thought extension cords were a no-no but glad to hear that’s a potential temporary option.

As others in this thread have mentioned, to reduce the risk of electric shock or fire while operating your Glowforge, use only a properly grounded outlet with least 800 watts available.

I’m going to close this thread - if you have any other questions, go ahead and post a new topic. Thanks for the help, all!