Can the GF Make holes/cavities that are 3/8 in deep in a 1/2 in or 3/4 in solid pine wood board?

qa

I need that to make a game board.
I was wondering if burning through the same hole shouldn’t let it burn deeper cavities than the 1/4" mentioned else where on the forums. [ What is the thickest material that WHICH Glowforge can cut? ]
Thanks
Ram

I do this pretty often with my existing laser. It is a pain to configure, but once you figure out amount of power needed I will do 2 to 3 passes with the laser to burn out a deeper hole.

My guess is yes, but the pine may be a challenge - it can be wet and sap-filled, which can bog things down a lot. May need to experiment. The trick would be engraving, not cutting. I’m pretty sure you could do it with a well-dried walnut, for example.

Thanks for the replies guys. Please move this to another post if required, but

Can The GF operate on a 12 in x 12 in board? Or does the thing being worked on need to be strictly smaller than 12 in in it’s smaller dimension?

Thanks
Ram

Not sure how many passes will be required to raster away 3/8" of material but I’m guessing a lot. Keep in mind that each time you focus down, a tiny bit of the conical slightly unfocused beam will overlap the remaining material and you will progressively char more and more of the rim. Think of it as a v-bit plunging down into your material, but instead of cutting the material away like a mill the unfocused part of the beam will just burn the edge. This will happen when you try to refocus lower and go over a previously cut path as well.

What if you used a drill to make the hole to the correct depth and then used the laser to refine the edge. Just a thought. And possibly no chance of starting a fire. Especially with pine as the oil in pine is extremely flammable.

@benwalker, I thought about that too! but my hope was to do all the processing on the board in one machine.
@fablab_elpaso, In this case, that would end up being a feature not bug :), since this is for a game where characters/pegs are placed in the holes… a slight draft does help make it easier to put things in.