Can we use the GF without internet connection?

Print, in this case requires a bit more horse power in a computer than regular printing does(ie -a lot more). Requires another set of software to compile. They’re making the Google servers handle that load instead.
Arguments have been both for and against since the pre-order launched. This is the way it was designed. There are other similar lasers(well 1 soon to be rebranded so…still 1?) and Chinese cheapos that you can run locally but it’s unfair to buy something and then argue that it should be something it isn’t.

Omg, my ford pinto has great MPG, but why isn’t it a Ferrari!? I demand this Pinto be a Ferrari!

2 Likes

I’d have to guess user experience with toner type laser printers and the incredible hoops the software has to go thru to determine where those several million dots of toner go on the paper is limited. the math and programming involved are, or were, pretty severe. still a fair amount of computing power needed, but today’s computer handle with little or no hiccups.

no pre-order launch indicated the lack of privacy and internet requirements needed to actually use the Glowforge. WiFi, yes. Google and internet invasion of privacy, No.

seems more like the multi-tentacled intrusion into our lives yet again by the corporate world… while it has yet to happen, there is nothing stopping either google nor Glowforge from limiting or distributing our art, our lives and personal space.

1 Like

The hardware built into the Glowforge itself is more than capable of handling the same tasks.

The choice to base this in the cloud was most likely less about computing power and more about a combination of ‘buzzword’ marketing and the idea that centralizing the software would simplify its development and deployment.

While Glowforge isn’t likely to make their devices usable without their cloud service, others are actively working on third party solutions to make the capability a reality.

So, fear not. Some day, in the not too distant future, you will have the option to continue to use their service, or to use your device locally, or both.

4 Likes

This.

I have absolutely no clue how hard the motion planning computation is, nor how robust the computational capabilities inside the machine right now are. So I won’t attempt to take a side on that argument.

But, the list of complications I am aware of are:
Cloud Based:

• Need an internet connection to work
  • In spite of EULA assurances, people will fear for privacy of their designs
  • Machine won’t work when company stops supporting it

Computer Based:

• Need to develop software for every possible OS, and update software to work for every version of every OS, as well as distribute software updates in each of those maintained compatability modes
  • When a user reports an error, you need to first determine which version of the software is being used. Then discover if the error is user error, OS compatability error, or actual software error
  • User must have a computer with software installed to use machine
  • User must connect computer to machine somehow

Machine Based

• User must connect computer to machine somehow
  • Need to have a method by which updates can be distributed to the machine, and distribute those updates along with installation steps to users.
  • Need sufficient storage space & processing power in the machine for all potential future functionality
  • When a user reports an error, you need to first determine which version of the software is being used. Then discover if the error is user error or actual software error
  • Need to distribute updates for machine whenever browser standards change and break the embedded user interface (Assuming the interface approach used is a machine hosted webpage. If the interface is computer hosted software, then you also have all issues from the computer based list)

I likely missed a few items on the list. But even just from these, it should be clear that there is not an absolute “THIS IS THE BEST APPROACH” in the list of options. If you add in the list of Pros, I think that there is a reasonable argument that cloud based is ideal, even if it is a fairly new concept and less comfortable for many people.

Much software in the future will be cloud based. Start getting used to it now. A future where your local machine is just a keyboard, monitor, and internet connection is not far off. Assuming we don’t replace keyboards and monitors.

3 Likes

I see Pros and Cons all the way around. My interest is in providing ‘options’.

Commenting on your list, you can easily add each of your statements for “Computer Based” to “Cloud Based”.

Remote vs. local computing models seems to wax and wane based on a brew of communication speeds and local processing power as the driving factors.

1 Like

not ideal and definitely not hack proof. lack of privacy is disturbing with all the social media hacks recently.

This is just ridiculous. I have a Chinese laser machine that’s been running for nearly 2 years that I just send my images to via laptop and cut, engrave, or etch to the same materials. That lader machine, so far, way out-performs my new Glowforge in every possible way. I don’t have to be on the internet and the 50w laser machine only cost $1500, including the cost of shipping. So, nobody on herecan telle that any laser machine has to be as expensive or more expensive as the Glowforge if you want to run jobs without internet connection. Buying the Glowforge was a waste of time. If you have a problem with the Glowforge, it takes days to get a response, then they give you a half a** answer and you have to reply, inly to wait another 2 days for a reply. And this goes on and on. You have to send multiple emails with attached photos of the machine (inside and out) and wait for a repky that asks for more photos of another part that requires you to move things around manually. My Glowforge is in no way better than my $1500 Chinese 50w CO2 laser machine. It’s actually far from as good as my Chinese one. I regret buying this machine.

2 Likes

Lots of typos. Should have proofread my post. Lol. Using my phone. Oh well.

I also find it strange that my posts about my problem with my system not working on the first day of use, are now closed due to no new posts in a few days, while this topic is still open after 3 months of no replies. Hmmmm.

1 Like

This one isn’t in the Problems and Support section. Posting a new thread to that section (only) opens a ticket for assistance from staff.

2 Likes

Yes, your chinese laser works fine with the same computer setup as the day you bought it. But it also has the exact same functionality as the day you bought it.

Most of the complications I outline only come up when an update to the system is designed. Which Glowforge intends to do regularly.

Run jobs without internet? Sure, absolutely possible. Perform all of the nice jobs Glowforge is capable of without internet? Also possible. Have continual new feature releases and enhancements to functionality while continuing to offer customer support throughout? Complications arise, and a company can decide to approach those complications through a cloud only method. To restate the broader point: This is not flat out better, it just shifts what problems you face. Structure of the company will largely determine which approach is better.

3 Likes

My glowforge will not stay on the internet it sets up and I find the network router and says its connected but then when the teal button goes out it lost the internet connection and it doesn’t work.

Is there any way to do something else than that set up to make sure the GF is sending a good signal it finding the router says that the signal is there. So that being says it wont calibrate and is useless without that internet conncetion.

My glowforge will not stay on the internet it sets up and I find the network router and says its connected but then when the teal button goes out it lost the internet connection and it doesn’t work.

Is there any way to do something else than that set up to make sure the GF is sending a good signal it finding the router says that the signal is there. So that being says it wont calibrate and is useless without that internet conncetion

Is there any way to do something else than that set up to make sure the GF is sending a good signal it finding the router says that the signal is there. So that being says it wont calibrate and is useless without that internet conncetion help me

If you’re having problems with your Glowforge you need to either create a new topic in the Problems and Support category or send email to support@glowforge.com

1 Like