Can you cut engrave/score Corian on a GF - I think that it's acrylic

Is Corian laserable?

Yes. But results are dependent on the specific composition of the Corian and the wavelength of the laser. And I donā€™t know those details so I canā€™t enumerate them, sorryā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™ve never tried it, but Iā€™ve read where people have engraved it. Type " corian" into the search bar and it will bring up many posts about it.

1 Like

Engraves nicely. Scores wonderfully well (especially if you defocus the beam). Cut through? From my experience (15 passes!) ā€“ no way! You can fill the engrave/score with paint and after it dries/cures, wrap a circular piece of smooth wood (say, 2" diameter) in an old T-shirt and after sprinkling on some lacquer thinner rub off the paint still on the surface ā€“ leaving whatā€™s in the engrave/score untouched!

9 Likes

It engraves very nicely. I use it to stamp leather! I havenā€™t tried a lithoplane yet but iā€™ve used it with a cnc and loved the looks of it. I think youā€™d need a very thin piece. I typically use 1/4 inch.

8 Likes

Thx! Yeah one of my friends that puts in countertop just told me that he could get you some. Not sure how thick it is.How thin does it have to be to CUT thru?

I would think maybe 1/8 inch? I used to ā€˜cutā€™ my blocks on a table saw then engrave the design in it. It has to be cut deep enough to allow the light behind it to be lit for the lithoplane.

Well someone did this a few years ago soā€¦,

1 Like

Thx! Were the ā€œcoinsā€ cut with a Glowforge or other method?

1 Like

I did it with the GF and it worked great. Engraves can be really deep and have a nice sharp edge to them. I was able to cut through 1/2" thick corian using multipass. My settings notes are all in the beta format which was different range of power/speed, but looks like I did full power and two passes of 3x cut at a fairly slow speed to make it happen with the 1/2" (total of 6 passes, but might have made it through with 4 or 5) and just a double pass for the 1/4" corian I had. Mine was some white variant of corian, but Iā€™ve also cut other colors that looked like aggregate stone. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks so much for this info -my friend just dropped off a few pieces to test, so now I have a starting point :slight_smile:

1 Like

Have fun!! It is a bit messy-quite a lot of dust so be sure to clean it after cutting.

1 Like