Can you show us some proof that thousands of GFs are being prepared for shipment?

Hmm - I signed up for Muse info early on, but never got that email comparing the Muse to GF. The last one I got was the newsletter from mid-November which talked about Muse features.

I’m one of those that read the Sep/Oct 2015 GF literature as literally claiming that product would start shipping in December, though I also figured it would be a few months later before I saw mine. The most recent delay has gotten me looking at alternatives too, but this is a hobby so time isn’t as much of a concern as it is for those that are missing out on profits or have time-sensitive projects.

You make some interesting observations on cost sensitivity. Over the years, I’ve found that spending more for a quality product was seldom a waste of money so long as the product was actually needed and used often. If you expect to be making money with the laser it should be a pretty simple calculation to determine the cost of waiting for the GF. Accounting for the benefits of the increased Z range and the rotary attachment might be a little trickier unless you already have plans along those lines.

I’m greatly encouraged to see @karaelena getting the next pre-release model because I think that he’ll be trying the sorts things that I have in mind and he has quite a bit of relevant experience. I’ll be waiting to see how his GF works out before seriously exploring alternatives.

12 Likes

Did you get a price for the Muse and is it available now, or just a pipe dream like GF?

3 options for purchase, shipping for lower 48 included in price.

1. Muse + Water Chiller $5,500
  2. Muse + Small Fume Extractor $6,000
  3. Muse + Small Fume Extractor + Water Chiller $6,500’’

No real info on whether the chiller & extractor are required (if so, they ought to be in the base price & not an add-on) or if they’re upgrades to whatever comes as the basic unit (e.g. basic has a water pump but you can get a chiller for the extra $500). They claim to be shipping next month (Jan 2017).

3 Likes

They only send it if you go to their Muse page now and hit the button to buy one - then they collect your email and send you a long rambling email that has the GF comparison and the pricing info.

That’s what makes our countries such wonderful places, we are allowed to disagree with each other and articulate it and to that end, It’s been a pleasure having you disagree with me from time to time. But I’ve moved on, and not being one of the KoolAid crowd I suspect my “access” to the forum will be shut down PDQ. New path; Epilog Mini 18"X12" - 40 watt with rotary attachment. The Glowforge would have been great fun, but my Epi will be here in 3 - 4 weeks and I expect it will be great fun too!

There are no right or wrong choices here, just different needs and priorities. I my opinion, Glowforge is destined for greatness and I’m sorry I’ll only see it from the sidelines.

Keep the faith baby! :sunglasses:

12 Likes

Best of luck. That’s a good machine. You’ll love it.

2 Likes

If you don’t mind me asking, what was the cost? Ballpark? More than the GF Pro?

1 Like

Whoa! Awesome man! Congrats. Sorry to see you go, but excited youll have a laser in your possession soon! If you still have access, share some of the stuff youve made!

3 Likes

With the external air assist pump and the rotary attachment ~ $14,300 Cdn. (~ $10,400 U.S. at current exchange rates). More for sure, but again, there are no bad choices in this tier, just different choices. Wish I could have gone the distance.

10 Likes

Definitely! But I think I be converted to a lurker as it should be with everyone that has had to choose to move on.

2 Likes

There are some people here that cancelled long ago and are still around. Who knows =). One thing I do know is we could use more laser posts!

8 Likes

If you’re making the right call for you…it is the right call.

And I’m happy for you. It’s a kick-ass laser, and you’ll get it before we will.

Enjoy it to the fullest! (And show your creations if you can once you get it fired up.) :relaxed:

7 Likes

Yes, it’s the right call for me. I continue to hold great confidence that the GF team will delivery a top shelf product. Ultimately though, it came down to timing for me. I just had to get on with things I wanted to do with my GF Pro.

13 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing that. Greatly appreciate it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Sorry to hear that, though it is completely understandable. Hopefully you will be able to continue posting as other drop-outs have been allowed to.

6 Likes

The process used to be manual - I think the team automated it, so your account will be disabled shortly for posting. I don’t believe they’ve gotten around to applying retroactively, though, and some edge cases don’t get picked up. But it’s based solely on ownership, not on preferred beverage. :slight_smile:

Epilogs are great - good luck, and thank you for your support!

9 Likes

@jdodds, I will miss your posts. You have so many times helped me get a better and bigger perspective on some complicated issues on the forum. You certainly will be able to make that new laser sing.

If you are ever in the Ozarks, you are always welcome to stop by.

6 Likes

Not sure why some are “sorry” for you. I, for one, would like to say congratulations! :slight_smile: You made a smart decision for yourself, purchasing from a long-standing, reputable company! Being a laser-newbie, I won’t be as bold. The 'forge is probably best for me. But I must say I’m quite envious of your timeframe! Enjoy it! Best of luck to you with it!

• Tom
14 Likes

Kudos to you for making the decision that best suits your needs, and also for having such a positive attitude about it. I hope that you’re somehow able to share your laser adventures with all of us, as you’ve contributed quite a bit to this forum.

Best wishes, and happy holidays.

6 Likes