Canning labels

A neighbor who was canning decided decided he had done enough and blessed us with some beets and 1/2 bushel of green beans. (I think because he knew we’d been doing other projects around the farm and hadn’t gotten to plant our garden this year.) Anyway, I spent the last two days canning it all, ending up with 12 pints of beets and 22 pints of green beans (one didn’t seal, so it’s in the fridge to be eaten tonight). Very happy with free food!
When I worked, I had access to some free labels which I used to mark all my canning. But since I am no longer working, no more labels. Like most people, we keep our canning goods on shelves, and because some of the shelves are taller than me, and because I want to be sure I used the oldest canned goods first, I like the labels on the front of the jar, rather than writing the information on the lids. With no more labels…
Glowforge to the rescue! During the processing time of one of the batches, I decided to use the new cardboard settings and make some little labels for all of my jars. Yay! I love how they turned out. I originally thought of doing them on just paper, but I hate the way the paper blows all around inside, and with so many little holes and cuts, I figured cardboard wouldn’t be so bad. It wasn’t. I attached the labels to the jars with some green crafting wire I have. It worked perfectly, for me anyway. :slight_smile: The nice thing is, because I just folded the wire over (could’ve folded it back under the labels, but I don’t really care), they’re easier to remove than the labels, I can still see the labels on the fronts of the jars, easy to replace for the next time, and they didn’t cost me a thing! Can’t get any better than that!

46 Likes

That’s looks nice and organised :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Brilliant! Love the clean look of the labels.

3 Likes

Cool idea and no messy labels to soak off!

5 Likes

True, and even though my labels were meant to be easily peeled (because of price changes all the time where I worked), I still had to use a label peeler to get them off.

2 Likes

Thanks! I work on organization almost more than actually doing! Not only food, but crafts!

3 Likes

Thank you! I probably could go 2 passes on the engrave so they’re a little darker, but when I’m getting them off the shelf, I’m up close anyway. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Makes me want to Label Something.

4 Likes

Looks great!!!

2 Likes

Cool idea! Not only does it take care of the soaking-off-the-labels issue, but they look so classy.

3 Likes

Makes for a beautiful presentation! Well done!

2 Likes

Thank you!

Thank you! I’m happy with them. Especially since I hate my handwriting! Here’s a photo of part of my pantry.

I definitely like the new labels better. Again, maybe not as easy to read, but they look more “country.” :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Thank you! I appreciate that!

1 Like

Those are very cool. I like the idea of using the wooden tags. You make some very creative tags with those. I’ve been canning forever and have always used stick on labels through a “Toner” laser printer. And had an idea. I worked an worked on trying to etch on the lids directly and only successfully warped them at best so I choose painting them first. I like the finished product but I’ll never be able seal my jars with boiling water because the paint will surly come off. I should have taken pictures of them before they spent a weekend at a campout.
But here’s my results.

3 Likes

Those look great! Do you reposition the pepper to show what heat the peppers are? I love my HP color laserjet printer, and never would have thought of doing labels for the lids. But since you can’t or don’t actually can with those lids, do you just use them when you’ve opened a jar then, so that the color, etc., stays on?
I thought about just making the stick on labels like I make for our wine labels, as those come off really easy just by running water over them. But the labels are a little costly and I’ve only found them online, so I keep them for when we make wine. I did label our honey jars with sheet labels I bought at OfficeMax when we had bees, but those were almost impossible to get off without a lot of soaking and scrubbing, a real pain, so I don’t want to use those for canning jars.

I do reposition the pepper to show the different level of heat. So I have 3 files per lid. I do can with regular lids and put these on before I serve them. As far as the paper labels, I use round ones that fit the lids so I can throw those away. I got tired of scrubbing them off jars too.

Nice!

1 Like

Great idea!

1 Like

What a perfect idea! I’m not a ‘canner’ but this is a concept that could carry over into other organizational projects. They look great…thanks for the inspiration.

1 Like