Can't Duplicate Images and the Cutting is being shifted

I just got my GF last week and a few issues

1. The lid won’t shut completely on the left side. https://youtu.be/_s2uyvB5gI8

2. Some of the wood that came with the GF was cut just a hair too long; so its either lifted on one side or i have to push down to lock it in place and causes a bow in the middle. (in the youtube video above)

3. When i’m cutting/etching the image shifts over so I can’t do any detail work or engrave /cut tight spaces. I’ve been in contact with GF about this but waiting for a response a day is really slowing down anything I’m working on. I’ve cleaned all of the components but it came like this and don’t see any damage anywhere. Pictures below.

4. I can’t copy and paste to cut duplicate images. (Chrome / Windows 10) Pictures below.

5. When tracing an image , it has to be directly below the lense otherwise its blurry.

Re: your copy paste, you have to use control-c to copy and control-v to paste. Right click copy won’t work.

4 Likes

Welcome.
About the lid - try placing sheets of paper or cardstock under the low corner of the Glowforge until the machine is level and the lid closes properly. There is flex in the unit. Make sure your work table is also level.

Use the set focus tool prior to placing your artwork and it shouldn’t shift. The shortcut keys for copying and pasting are here: https://glowforge.com/support/topic/first-three-prints/shortcut-keys. Copying is control c/paste is controlv.

You might benefit from running the lid camera calibration. https://app.glowforge.com/maintenance/camera-recalibrator

If you could share a screenshot that explains your description of not being able to cut/engrave in tight spaces.

Also, emailing support and then posting in the forum open multiple support tickets which ultimately slows things down.

5 Likes

The case of the GF is quite flexible. Final assembly/alignment was done on an extremely flat slab. It’s almost impossible to replicate that at home. Very, very few tables, stands or even kitchen countertops are perfectly flat. I’m not talking level, but flat. You may need to slightly shim the corners, trial and error to get the lid to close equally on the left and right side. Don’t worry if it is not completely flush. But the two sides need to be equal. That should improve alignment. For almost perfect alignment you may to run the S/W camera alignment procedure.

4 Likes

Thanks for the answers folks! That is correct – you can take these steps for the most accurate alignment results:

• Use Set Focus before your print to make sure the software knows just how far the material is from the camera.
  • Use material that is not warped or tilted.
  • Remove particles from the surface of the crumb tray and the area underneath it. Check the four indentations under the crumb tray and the area underneath the front door of your Glowforge. Check to make sure that, when closed, the front door is not pressing down on the lip of the crumb tray.
  • Turn your Glowforge off and on again. Alignment can drift over time, particularly if you bump the head of your Glowforge while removing material.

I would also recommend running the Camera Recalibrator as well.

In regards to the copy and pasting issue, could you take a video showing what you are encountering with that? We’ll be happy to take a closer look.

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.