Can't get past calibration. It's a well known and unsolved problem - Returning GF

I can’t get past calibration and am done trying to make my life and workflow fir GF’s.
How do I return this POS?

1 Like

Pretty sure you can’t return it after you’ve accepted delivery, per the agreed upon terms.

Have you been in contact with Support regarding your machines inability to calibrate? I only see one other post about some acrylic.

Most calibration problems tend to be the result of a flaky WiFi connection, which means they are user resolved rather than Glowforge resolved.

3 Likes

Very fast and stable wifi. Sometimes with five and six resets it will eventually get beyond the calibration screen. I’ve spent, wasted, hours waiting for it.

I’ll drive it to Seattle and leave it in their lobby if they won’t send me an RMA. I did not get the equipment promised in their advertisements, not to mention that they have yet to complete the order.

The GF is not ready for release to paying customers. Great for Beta-tinkerers but I’m not interested in being part of their development team.

1 Like

I’m sorry that you are off to a poor start but literally thousands of people are finding the :glowforge: to be very functional. They will replace your unit if it is defective but I’m also pretty sure that you will not get any refund at this point.
Also you might want to take a slightly different approach to your posts.

3 Likes

I may be willing to buy it off of you for the amount you paid. Pro or basic?

3 Likes

If you are having problems with the machine getting stuck in Calibration it is usually related to a sketchy WiFi connection, but can also be caused by incorrectly prepared files or a large file size. There is a link to the WiFi Troubleshooting section below, you might want to run through the steps. (While you wait for support to get back to you.)

https://glowforge.com/support/topic/troubleshooting/wi-fi

Having them respond can take up to a couple of days, depending on the load and weekend situation.

They can go in and review the data for the problem prints if you will post the date/time/time zone for the times you have trouble. (Since it might be later when they see it, it’s a good idea to include the information in the problem report when you make it.)

It’s also a good idea to try to print one of the Glowforge provided files, on Proofgrade material, to see if the problem is with the file or the connection.

They will be able to help you get your machine running. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I would take a different approach if I were treated with respect. I treat my thousands of customers very differently.

I’ll pay for a technician to correct the problem if it’s my error, otherwise it’s a defective unit/service and the State of Washington protects consumers for both truth in advertising claims and defective products.

Mac Sheldon
Mac@MacSheldon.com
503-650-9833

1 Like

Who disrespected you? @dan takes that very seriously.

1 Like

Have him call me. Let’s talk.

Mac Sheldon
503-650-9833
Mac@MacSheldon.com

1 Like

My guess would be that some customers feel disrespected by having each delay announced just before the deadline, a much different product being offered in the accept/reject email than from the campaign, etc.

That’s not the kind of disrespect I think you were referring to when you asked your question or made your assertion.

2 Likes

Interesting. Thousands of us can use our GF’s with none of the trouble you report here…

While that may be true most days somebody reports they are stuck in calibration, whereas with any other CNC machine they simply bounce off three limit switches and are up and running.

1 Like

I’m so sorry to hear you’ve hit a snag.

I’ve been looking at the logs from your Glowforge, can you let me know what color the button on your Glowforge is? If the button is teal, this indicates that the unit is in WiFi setup mode and you will not be able to print. To exit WiFi setup, power off your Glowforge and then power it back on. Check to make sure there is nothing sitting on your Glowforge that may be depressing the button such as material or tools. If the button is held down for 10 seconds after powering on, it will re-enter WiFi setup and you won’t be able to print.

If the button is not teal and you’re still unable to print, please let me know and we’ll keep working to make sure that you’re back to printing as quickly as possible.

6 Likes

I think pretty much all other WiFi connected devices at least have an LED that shows that it is connected by lighting up and flickering when data is being transferred and that would cost less than 10 cents. It is odd that on a big expensive machine like this there is no indication if the WiFi connection is made and is reliable and talking to the cloud.

It would be good if the button glows another colour when there is no WiFi connection and another when it is connected but can’t contact the cloud.

The button having the ability to flash and change colors can provide a wide variety of indications without the need for a dedicated status light. WiFi connection issues could have their own color like teal, and they could pulse the light in different sequences for different issues, then give more detail in the UI.
I wonder if there are any color blind people who have issues with reading the color indications. I’m working on a device that uses an 8 RGB LED strip as an indicator, but we aren’t relying on color as an indicator definition just in case someone is colorblind.

1 Like

My Taz6 fails calibration all the time (insanely annoying actually)

3 Likes

Since you’ve emailed us and we’re troubleshooting the issue there, I’m going to close this thread.