Can't Setup Glowforge

I powered up our Glowforge Pro for the first time today, and am now at the point in the setup where I connect to the Glowforge WiFi AP. From a Windows 10 PC, I can connect to the Glowforge AP (192.168.192.1) and am assigned an IP address (192.168.192.10), but cannot make any further progress. Nothing happens once I connect to the Glowforge AP.

When connected to the Glowforge AP, http://192.168.192.1 and https://192.168.192.1 do not show web UIs. I will likely port scan the Glowforge AP for open ports, but I figure I’d post here in the meantime to see if anyone knows how to solve this problem.

Is anything supposed to “pop-up” on my screen once I connect to the Glowforge AP?
The set up instructions hint that “automagic things” happen. Better stated: the instructions are completely lacking in detail as to what is supposed to happen once you connect a device to the Glowforge AP.

(It’s times like this that phone support would be a great thing to have. Hint hint…)

Going on distant memory, but all you need to do is connect the wi-fi; you’re not going to see a Web UI at the GF’s IP. Once it’s set up, you should be able to access the GFUI via app.glowforge.com.

2 Likes

There’s supposed to be confetti, but I’m on GF#2 and I’ve never seen it. :frowning:

2 Likes

We’re often a lot faster than phone support! :wink:

2 Likes

It’s not a completely locally served set up page. You need to browse to setup.glowforge.com while connected to the internet, then connect to the Glowforge AP to supply your local WiFi credentials.

2 Likes

This doesn’t make a lot of sense. If I connect to the Glowforge AP, what happens between my computer and the Glowforge AP (while both cannot reach the Internet) that completes the setup?

You’re just connecting your GF to the wi-fi so it can access the cloud.

setup.glowforge.com needs work. The way the page reads, it suggests something should happen once you connect to the Glowforge AP. What it doesn’t say, but should, is that you should read all of the “connect to WiFi instructions” and then press the continue button.

I stumbled upon this thread: Connect to "Glowforge" wife for setup, but no configuration page which points you to Glowforge - the 3D laser printer, the page that is viewable once you click the continue button referenced above.

But now all I get is the following error. I have tried to connect to both broadcast and hidden 2G WPA SSIDs that we have on-premises, to no avail.

Any suggestions? Or are we going to end up having to send this thing back?

Thank you for asking. Could you please do the following?

1. Exit the web browser you are using to go to setup.glowforge.com

2. Turn off your Glowforge.

3. Wait at least 10 seconds.

4. Turn on your Glowforge (please do not touch the button on top of the Glowforge at this step - only the switch on the back).

5. Once the Glowforge is on, press and hold the button on top of your Glowforge for at least ten seconds until it glows with a teal color.

6. Navigate to setup.glowforge.com and follow the instructions onscreen.

7. When asked to provide the password for your network, copy and paste your Wi-Fi password.

• Type your network’s Wi-Fi password in a text editor, like Microsoft Word or Google Docs, then highlight and copy it
  • Watch for common mistakes: substituting zeros for the letter O, copying an extra space at the end, and letters that should be capitalized
  • Return to setup and paste the copied Wi-Fi password
  • Check the “Show password” box to make sure that the password is correct

1. Make sure your password hasn’t been changed
  • On your computer, phone, or tablet, disconnect from your Wi-Fi network. Reconnect by pasting the same password from the step above. If it does not work, the password is incorrect.
  • Ask your family or network manager if someone changed the password
  • If you still cannot gain access, reset your password
  • Once you’ve confirmed your password, click “Restart Setup” again

I’m including a link to the Wi-Fi troubleshooter just in case… Please let us know if you have more questions.

I was able to get the Glowforge connected to WiFi finally. I am not sure what was different about the last time I attempted to connect (I typed the same password and all of our network settings were unchanged), but the Glowforge connected.

Now on to a test print…

1 Like

I’m glad you resolved it! I’m going to close this thread. If you run into any other trouble, please start a new topic, or email us at support@glowforge.com. We’re here to help!