Can't specify material height

I’ve been printing ear savers nonstop. Today, I am no longer able to specify material height, and my glowforge can no longer cut anything. The grayed-out “Auto” field is not clickable/editable. What am I doing wrong?

Have you tried using the Set Focus tool instead?

I had not–just tried it, and it reduced my printable area by ~2" on each side for some reason? Still can’t specify material height.

The grey area changes size based on the speed at which you have the engrave/cut/score set - nothing to do with Set Focus.

Honestly, I’d suggest closing everything, clearing the cache in your browser, and starting fresh. That’ll allow anything saved into your browser to clear in case something is clogging up the works.

1 Like

Already tried logging out of everything, clearing caches, rebooting computer, power cycling glowforge, and waiting a day. :frowning:

Grump!

Ok - can you post a picture of your whole GFUI - from the name of the material on the left to the name of your printer on the right - I wanna see if there’s anything else I can spot to make this make sense!

Thank you either way – I appreciate the help! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok, let’s try to eliminate some things.

Choose a PG material - any one. Put material into the bed, then reset (if it doesn’t automatically) the steps to cut/score - then click on the bed and see where the grey box goes (if it doesn’t then post another picture when you do)

Good thought. That takes the boxes back to normal, but I still can’t switch to an uncertified material / specify height :frowning: womp.

It’s definitely got a snag somewhere! How about going back to home - and loading a completely different design. See if you have the same issue, and if not, go back in to this one and see if that shook it loose.

If two have the same issue I think you’re gonna have to wait for a staff member

Another good idea-- do you / have you worked in support somewhere? :slight_smile: – but unfortunately my issue persists. Guess I’m waiting for staff, but I really do appreciate the replies.

Many times, for many different companies :slight_smile: Sadly I’m at a dead end here. Time for Tier 2 support to chime in!

Fingers crossed they can get you sorted.

1 Like

That’s just showing you the area within which you need to use the Set Focus tool. You can’t use it all the way to the edge. The margins will go back to normal as soon as you’ve selected the location for set focus.

OMG I figured it out.

My wife also uses the glowforge. We’ve been trading off running it while the other person works. She left the app open on a different laptop after a print finished, and we forgot. Since then I’ve been able to print, but the glowforge stopped cutting all the way through material.

Not sure if this is a bug or a “feature,” but you cannot change material height while the app is open in multiple locations, but you can still print–glowforge just uses the wrong settings (some default, maybe?). Once I closed the app on my wife’s laptop, I was able to set material height again!

4 Likes

YES! That’s the equivalent of locking the browser - and I believe it’s a feature so you don’t accidentally screw up a different design. Definitely not working how it’s supposed to if you can still print though

Yay for figuring it out!

1 Like

fwiw, I see this issue quite often. I have one computer, and use one browser. I never have the UI open elsewhere.

Not looking for support feedback, just sharing my experience.

3 Likes

Thanks for the POST!

I don’t usually ever have the app open on more than one computer, but these days it is possible.

2 Likes

thanks for chiming in! when you have the issue, how do you usually fix it? just looking to add tools to my debug box.

Delete the design and start over (re-upload)…

1 Like

I’m sorry that you ran into trouble when setting up your print. It’s great to see the help you received from other community members, and I’m glad you were able to find the solution and get back up and printing!

I’m going to close this thread. If you run into trouble again, or have any questions, please post a new topic here on the forum or email us at support@glowforge.com and we’ll be happy to help.