Can't wait for the Glowforge

My wife’s reaction was, “what does this have to do with glowforge?”.

I am having a harder and harder time keeping her hopes up :stuck_out_tongue:

I impulse bought an old delta scroll saw 7-9 years ago for 40$. Was an old 80s model I think. It’s definitely not the best, but small so I can bring it out the once a year I need it. Definitely needs to be bolted down to keep it from running down the road. That’s how my belt sander escaped :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

My guess is that when you are attempting to cut on a curve you are not turning your work piece enough and are pushing sideways on the scroll saw blade. I still catch myself doing that, and I have been doing it a long time. :joy:

10 Likes

I live in an apartment and I don’t have the space to have a big working area, so I’m thinking about a Rockwell BladeRunner X2 to cut bigger pieces than 1/4" (obviously smaller than 2" :stuck_out_tongue: )then engrave them with the Glowforge :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have the problem even on straight cuts. It seems I have to find the “sweet angle” to feed the work to follow a straight line. I probably just have a cheap-o saw.

2 Likes

Always remember you can use a cheapo scroll saw and it will do the job. There are different blades for different woods. #2 blade for 1/4" soft wood, #5 blade for 3/4" soft wood, #7 blades for 3/4"-1 1/2" hardwood, #9 blade for 1 1/2"-2 1/2" hardwood and #12 blade for straight cuts. I guess the most important aspect in using a scroll saw whether a cheapo or expensive saw is patience.

7 Likes

I really want to get into doing Intarsia art pieces. & of course just to fool around.

2 Likes

True. For me, there was a new lesson in patience with any cutting tool. When you get down to jeweler’s scale on coping saw blades, you develop a fine touch. :grimacing:

What source do you use for blades?

4 Likes

I just purchased 7 doz on ebay 7 Dozen Flying Dutchman Scroll saw Blades Pinless Regular Reverse Intro Pack. I believe it was about $25.00 I have not received them yet. I’m currently using some blades I had from several years ago.

1 Like

I have also used a jewelers saw for cutting detail work on coins.

2 Likes

A fine detail tool. In my mind the old school for laser-like cutting intricacy.

1 Like

What’s the difference between a coping saw and a jeweler’s saw? Blade size?

2 Likes

Pretty much. Looks a little different and is generally adjustable in length but mostly it’s just the teeny tiny blades. You can google a picture.

I use one to do inlays for musical instruments.

2 Likes

Thanks!

@Scott.Burns - yes, rpegg nailed it.

1 Like

Yes the Jeweler’s saw blade is much smaller. About the diameter of lead from a mechanical pencil.

1 Like

I have blades that are not much larger than a hair. Need magnification to see which way the teeth point. :nerd:

9 Likes

That sounds like a Jeweler’s saw blade.

4 Likes

Found some real nice scroll saw patterns at this site http://www.sheilalandrydesigns.com/category/uncategorized-patterns

5 Likes

I remember when I first wanted to try coin cutting (into puzzle pieces). I ordered an inexpensive saw and some blades on Amazon. When I first opened the package, I thought the 144 blades (wrapped together with wire) were one blade until I realized how thin they were… :grinning:

3 Likes

Reminded me of this.

One for @rpegg perhaps?

16 Likes

Truly analog in a digital world…

Put a big grin on my face :blush:

4 Likes