Capturing fall in a bottle

Our company had a fall themed Glowforge contest, so I made this fall tree under a glass cloche:

Designing the base was very fun, I borrowed this awesome Arabic design book that shows the geometry of how these are broken down so that I could recreate it in Illustrator:

Then I just had to find a tree and make some leaves. I did a simple kind cross piece slot tree, then modified a Canadian flag and cut a WHOLE LOT of maple leaves out of a piece of thick watercolor paper that I colored up with fallish colors:

Then I got a tweezers and super glue and started gluing! Right around here was when it looked like a weird #nailedit kind of project and I started to loose heart:

But it turns out that putting a glass cloche over anything makes it look SUPER FANCY and awesome, so it all came together!

(It was very hard to get a good picture of this in the office, but handy that we had fake fall trees everywhere.) ((Also, this was actually last fall and it took forever for me to write this post because I didn’t have the heart to post it out of season :sweat_smile: ))

115 Likes

That is beautiful! The cloche does really make it look high class…did you win first place???

8 Likes

Wow. That is fantastic!

5 Likes

Absolutely wonderful! (And how cool that your dayjob had a GF comp!)

5 Likes

Dang, I need to get me some cloches!

5 Likes

So good to see your craft displayed again, That’s magnificent! There is an aura around anything under a glass dome. (Shamelessly) got a link for that display set? :sunglasses:

7 Likes

This is just. so. beautiful!

7 Likes

Everything about this is delightful, including your disclaimer at the end!

6 Likes

Holy cow! That’s amazing.

3 Likes

I did! I won a really awesome heavy canvas crafting apron. :blush:

11 Likes

Well, I work at Glowforge, so maybe it’s more obvious that we would. :thinking: :grin: There was also a baking competition and it was delicious!

So - right down in SoDo in Seattle there’s a bunch of these used commercial kitchen supply places, and I found a whole assortment of them priced at 10$. I guess they are normally used for cookies or bakery items, but were missing the bases and priced to sell.

(sorry, work account vs personal account is still v confusing)

9 Likes

Richly deserved! Thanks for sharing your pics!

3 Likes

Well Done! I salute your resourcefulness. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Gorgeous

1 Like

Ohmygosh, I love this! It really appeals to the miniature lover in me. And the Arabic pattern is such a cool way to ground the tree.

3 Likes

Like like like. I especially like the idea of cutting out of prepainted watercolor paper, such great results!

2 Likes

stunning. This inspires me

2 Likes

You can also find them in all sorts of sizes on Amazon. Search for “glass dome with base”.

No doubt they’re available in bulk in AliExpress but Amazon is quick & easy.

3 Likes

Oh my gosh, that is wonderful. Just love it.

1 Like

I love this… Is the tree just two pieces? How big is it?

1 Like