I was reading some of the other other discussions on absolute zeros, positioning jigs, etc. and decided to give it a try. I just received an Amazon package and figured I might as well dial in settings for cutting it as well (0.1" focus, 200/60; speed may be able to be increased even more).
First, I checked the bed stability, and it wasn’t terrible. Front to back and side to side, it doesn’t move detectably, so I figured it was good enough to give it a go.
I cut a 9x12 rectangle with the laser, to get squared edges (9" was as wide as I could go with my stock). I pushed this back against the back wall and along the left rail.
Then I set up a 12x20 page to snap the GFUI placement to the origin and made two cuts 1" from the upper left edge, using some off cuts to prevent lasering directly into the bed.
Anything flush to my jig should now be origin at the 1",1" position in a 12x20 page. I cut some test circles in some already squared stock:
I did two of these, removing and resetting everything in between. They line up very well, and all the dimensions measure what I would expect, as well as you can measure circles in cardboard. Perhaps I shouldn’t have used circles to test. Or cardboard.
I did try a printed paper test alignment, scoring crosses over some printed crosses, and it was close but not perfect. It is very difficult to align paper to corrugated cardboard.
Anyway, this method of jig creation does show some promise for being able to indicate objects repeatably across resets.