Cardboard Moai (Easter Island head)

Turning 3d models into cardboard sculptures is one of the goofiest hobbies I’ve ever come across, but man making a 16" tall moai (accidentally! I meant for it to be a foot tall, but apparently I’ve got some 3/16 and 5/32 cardboard instead of 1/8") was stupid fun.

Based on This low-poly Moai on Thingiverse.

Took me a little while to get up to speed on both Fusion Slicer (LOL i’m screwed when that stops working) and getting everything to export/separate properly EPS → Illustrator → SVG, but man it’s fun using all the cardboard I’ve been saving from all the other BS I order to make stuff :slight_smile:

56 Likes

Very cool!

2 Likes

An Amazing piece!

2 Likes

Haha, that’s a great project. I could see this as the base for either plaster or hypertufa.

5 Likes

This is wonderful! Are you going to leave it with the cool lines or do some kind of filling and sanding?

2 Likes

I actually think the obvious layered cardboard somehow lends itself to the art. I’d be happy to display that as is (I might address the white label shining there).

6 Likes

This is great! I think the texture makes it even more amazing.

3 Likes

What fun! I think I need one of those except even bigger! Maybe for the front yard! He looks great! I love the shape of the Moai.

3 Likes

Holy cow that’s a lot of layers

3 Likes

That’s some dedicated burning!

3 Likes

night-at-the-museum-ben-stiller

3 Likes

I think it looks great the way it is. I wouldn’t worry about white showing - the island has all kinds of birds on it, right? :rofl: :rofl:

7 Likes

One of my favorite posts ever! He is fabulous! I love cardboard.

3 Likes

That’s fabulous! My cat wants to see more of the cat in the background of the 2nd photo, though.

1 Like

96 layers! Not as many actual pieces of cardboard as smaller pieces I’ve made since this didn’t have any little tiny bits or split bits.

2 Likes

LOL yeah I’m not gonna change it. I kind of love that you can tell it’s made pretty much entirely from boxes used to ship our cats’ food

3 Likes

Better detail on that guy available on Instagram, with bonus reactions from our two actual cats.

2 Likes

What a great job! (Nice cats, too.) For Halloween, you could put a soft, diffuse light on one side or the other of the cat; the other side’s silhouette would look eerie through a window, I’ll bet.

1 Like

I agree, the lines really enhance the design.

2 Likes

Still a lot of pieces to keep track off. Looks really nice!