Cardinal

With Christmas coming, I thought I’d donate this design I came up with last year if people wanted to throw a few onto their tree. Full instructions and the SVG are in the attached zip file. It’s designed for “medium” chipboard, a non-Proofgrade material - mine is 1.55mm. If you use other thickness, you’re on your own, as the fit is very precise but perfect for the material I have. A little math could scale it for other materials. No adhesive necessary. You will need paint.

Cardinal.zip (2.7 MB)

64 Likes

This is nice of you

3 Likes

That’s lovely!

I had some 1/16" purpleheart that I bought by accident a few years back (I was looking for 1/8") and I thought this would look beautiful in that! I upsized the design to 2.25mm, used alcohol inks on the beak and black stripe (you can’t really see the yellow on the beak though) and cut an acrylic inset for the eye. Thank you!

10 Likes

Thank you! This is elegant. Would be great outside my mother’s assisted living facility for the residents.

6 Likes

Too kewl! Imagine a tree with nothing but beautiful cardinals and pine cones…hmmmmmm! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

4 Likes

Love the cardinals visiting outside of our window.
Thanks for the share!

4 Likes

This is really nice! My first thought was red acrylic. Thank you for sharing it with us.

4 Likes

That is exactly where the inspiration came from - my ex has a wall/door hanging “tree” (about 4’, and “in half” if that makes sense) with a bunch of cardinals - the little fake birds you could probably buy at a craft store - somewhat permanently attached.

3 Likes

Thank you, my wife loves cardinals.

2 Likes

It’s lovely, and very much appreciated. Thank you.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Fun. Thanks!

1 Like

Hey that’s a very nice design. Thank you for the share.
Merry Christmas.

1 Like

That’s a beauty, thanks for the share!

1 Like

This is wonderful! I am a newbie and I didn’t quite understand the directions to “remove and flip.” How do you get it in the same location to cust once you flip? Also, do your steps in your instructions go left to right or up and down? Thanks!!

You flip it over just to paint it. The cut in step 2 will make the arrows which you use a guide, as shown in the instructions. You then put it back in the original orientation when done painting.

Your outer part of the material should be securely pinned in place before you begin.

Order is
1 2
3 4
5 6
etc…

1 Like

A lifetime love of cardinals … thank you very much!

Thank you very much eflyguy! Happy new year.

Such a Christmas classic! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks! We feed the birds here and have several cardinals that have raised families, so this is much appreciated.