Cart for Glowforge

Hey all! Probably a super-simple question here. I want to put my Forge on a cart that I can move away from the wall when I need to use the pass through feature but otherwise I’ll stow it against the wall. Is it safe to roll the Glowforge this small amount without packing it up like it’s going to be actually moved?

I’m probably overthinking this but I wanted to ask the community. Thanks!

7 Likes

If you move it slowly and carefully, I can’t imagine it wouldn’t be just fine. Others on here might disagree though.

8 Likes

Sure you can roll the Glowforge. If you want to be extra careful, do something to make sure that the carriage arm doesn’t jolt forward/back.

8 Likes

Yes. That’s exactly what I do. It’s on top of a Husky rolling toolchest. You just need to make sure you have a long enough exhaust hose so it doesn’t pull out when you pull the cart forward.

13 Likes

Definitely. It’s jarring motions (like when the shippers dropped the boxes!) that can break things inside. A smooth slide on a cart is no big deal :slight_smile:

I know of one person who has theirs on a lifting shelf.

Just make sure your exhaust hose has enough give so it doesn’t get pulled off when you roll the cart!

13 Likes

This is the type I use!

9 Likes

My Glowforge resides in my home office where there is no outside venting, so I roll it on a cart to the guest bathroom every time I use it.
Just be careful to pull the cart and not push it to avoid tipping over.

13 Likes

I have had mine on a rolling stand since I got it about 6 years ago. In order to use it I always have to roll it around. Absolutely no problem. I even carried it outside to my garage last summer and used it out there. I had help to move it of course but I didn’t put any of the plastic locks inside and we were careful . It is still very very accurate.

7 Likes

This is all great advice (and a big relief). If anybody is interested in seeing what I build I could post pics of it here. If it turns out well, I might even create some plans (free) for the DIY-minded.
Thanks again everybody!

5 Likes

I nearly got that same one but ended up with stationary wire shelves (also by Husky from Home Depot). Wish I’d have asked this question before I made my purchase, haha

3 Likes

100%

We’re also always interested in peoples laser projects too, so post all the pics of whatever you think is interesting!

7 Likes

And you can get something like this for a little bit less at harbor freight!

4 Likes

Yes @robhorton, please do share your endeavour, it is always interesting to see what solutions other users come up with.

This forum is enriched with the contributions that users share of their projects.

9 Likes

I never would’ve been able to get a workbench/tool chest up the narrow stairs to my workshop, so I built something lighter and easier to assemble.

This rolling workbench is a 24x48" wood board from Lowes for $28, and four IKEA Krille legs with casters that were on sale for $10 each (normally $20). I don’t live near an IKEA, but they shipped for just a few dollars. The caster legs are rated for twice the weight of the Glowforge.

14 Likes

Nice job. You might want to add a drawer or two for all the little bits of stuff that come in handy at the laser. Things like dental-type picks for checking cut-through or magnets or tray pins, wipes, etc. You can get easy screw on desk drawers from Amazon that would take just a few minutes to mount.

8 Likes

I upgraded my first table to the big blue rolling husky bench, only to find it was way too tall for me to comfortably use (being 5 foot nothing) so your rolling option is much more appealing then what I tried haha, it looks great! I bought 2 ikea kitchen tables that have been super solid for my pros, but if they had castors to gently swivel around it would certainly ease cleaning & troubleshooting (and if I ever get around to pass through-ing!)

3 Likes

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083DWBXCY?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Agreed! These are great too, if you’re feeling non-committal to screws. I have 2 sets up for hold down pins, zeiss wipes, and weeding tools.

1 Like

I was thinking of something like these I got from Amazon for another project.

https://a.co/d/cgUh6CQ

Or,

https://a.co/d/7JZBKd8

1 Like

Yeah I got mine when there was a special buy at Home Depot and it was the best price!

2 Likes

That looks way nicer than my workbench. lol
I hate the way mine looks - and I wanted to paint it white (was going to paint it before assembling it, but when it got here, a big nope, just didn’t happen). But, it is what it is!

3 Likes