Cast Resin? Polymer Clay?

Is cast resin (such as ICE resin or Allumilite) compatible with the GF? What about polymer clay? Can that be used in the GF? I have some flat surfaces on pieces that I’ve already finished that I would love to add signatures to or embellish further.

Can’t say for sure, but polymer clay were discussed a while ago…

3 Likes

Thanks for the info! I’m new to the forums and didn’t see this when I searched. I’m curious if anyone has tried to “fake it” as some were pondering and gave it a go and what the results were if they did.

Polymer clay is usually PVC.
Don’t laser it.
Googled ‘composition of polymer clay’

:upside_down_face:

8 Likes

Thanks for the definitive answer! Some of the other things I’ve found seemed sort of on the fence and like they’d stick it in there to see how it goes (whether they want to admit it or not)! LOL! So, this just makes me think of different ways to do a workaround. Thanks again! :slight_smile:

1 Like

My daughter used polymer clay over a number of years as a doll’s house scale maker, so I looked at the possibility of using it myself, in conjunction with my :glowforge:, but using it as an insert into a space created for it in the work I do.
The idea is that I can reproduce small, fine detailed carvings with a casting process more economically, and faster than the :glowforge: can, and while it is doing its own thing.

:upside_down_face:

1 Like

I just took a look at the SDS for the ICE resin and Allumilite.

It appears that Allumilite is just a urethane, there doesn’t seem to be anything bad in it. You’ll have to do some experimentation to get the settings right.

It looks like one of the parts of the ICE resin contains formaldehyde. I don’t think this would be a good thing to laser engrave.

3 Likes

THANK YOU, Joe! This is amazingly helpful!

1 Like