Catalog Mandala Art made as a trivet

Another one from the Catalog :smiley: This one is Tim Ung’s Layered Mandala Art.

As designed it’s 10.5", but I wanted to use it as a trivet so I shrunk it down to 5.5 in the GFUI. Instead of using finished wood I coloured the layers with alcohol inks, and then sealed with Rustoleum Rippled Effect spray. I sealed the back and sides with tung oil.

It’s the first layered piece I’ve done, and it of course sent me down a rabbit hole :stuck_out_tongue: I do love the feel of that rippled paint - plus it protects it nicely from the hot things we’re going to put on top!

33 Likes

Like what you did - that came out great!

5 Likes

very nice use of a catalog design in a completely different way. I really like the way the alcohol inks bring out the grain in the wood.

3 Likes

Oh, neat! Is the rippled spray heat resistant? After drying of course.

4 Likes

That turned out really pretty. i love the alcohol inks!

3 Likes

Is that 3 layers? I’m not a kitchen guy, but what would be the maximum reasonable height on a trivet?

2 Likes

I doubt it’s 300º resistant, but it does well enough against hot plates and bowls

It’s 3 layers of 1/8" - so just about 3/8" - and about the perfect depth. I’ve got a few that are around 1/2" thick but they’re closer to 8" across, probably much thicker than that would get awkward unless they were very large.

1 Like

This looks great, I love your colour choices.

2 Likes

Beautiful!

1 Like