Catastrophic failure

BAHAHAHAHA!!!

Yes this is a complete sentence, Discourse. Gawlly.

8 Likes

Questions about logs:

• Are any retained on the local machine?
  • What logs are retained in the cloud? What data does Glowforge keep, and for how long?
  • What are the usage and ownership rights on that data?

Yes. Instructions on how to access them has been posted lots of times. Search the Community Support category for 192.168.192.1

The logs are separate from other stuff uploaded to Glowforge, though some logs are identified as
Uploaded. Bed images are not stored in the locally accessible logs. They are uploaded straight to the GF servers.

1 Like

Forgive me. Since I don’t actually have a unit, it’s an entirely theoretical question for me.

1 Like

Tempered glass will shatter very loudly when damaged in specific ways or when subjected to high temperatures.

Here is a relevant video about glass droplets called a “Prince Ruperts Drop” that are related to tempered glass as they are both formed with similar processes. It will show you how strong they are, but also how explosive tempered glass can be when it fails.

(edit: I found a more succinct mythbusters video)

smarter every day video of same subject

5 Likes

Yeah, I’ve seen that…but if you look at the picture, all the glass seems to have fallen down into the machine. (You can see it on top of the gantry.) The glass probably twisted when the case slumped and then popped, the Glowforge didn’t exactly explode. (Pretty sure most glass will shatter when it’s twisted, even tempered glass. )

Some potential customers will no doubt get hysterical about seeing something like that, and I agree, they’re probably not the best candidates for a laser cutter. I don’t get upset at all. To me it looks really good - the case contained the fire like it was designed to do.

And given the lack of smoke staining everywhere, I’ll bet the exhaust fan kept running as long as it could, even with the fire raging - I’d like to see the wall on the outside at the outlet…I’ll bet it’s a mess.

Anyway, looking at that actually makes me feel a little bit relieved about occasionally having to take a leak while the machine is running a job. :slightly_smiling_face:

Edit: I’ll tell you what though…it did prompt a nice thorough cleaning this morning. Easier to keep buildup from happening in the first place.

7 Likes

yeah, i have to say that, while it’s a catastrophic failure for the GF, at least it’s not catastrophic for the room or the house. and considering how much damage there is to the machine, that’s actually a positive.

7 Likes

Tempered glass is pretty strong and resistant to such a thing. The lid of the glowforge has no supports and can hold its own weight in an open position without shattering, even at an angle. This was most likely heat induced failure

2 Likes

Do you think that the glass broke even more if water was sprayed on it while there was a fire there? There is some water on the left side of the Glowforge. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

That looks like a leak of fluid from the coolant tank. (Which I would expect if it melted.) I don’t see anything that looks like water on the dry charred remnants on top of the tube…I’m guessing he never did a thing to try to put that out. I’ll bet it burned itself out, and probably long before he took the pic. (No smoke in the air, the residue inside the machine looks dry and cold.)

3 Likes

I’m glad he is okay.

I’m also weirdly impressed that it turned out so well. I mean, the glowforge is passed well done, and that dresser has seen better days, but on the scale of “my laser exploded whilst unattended” that room seems relatively unscathed.

8 Likes

Some of this discussion reminds me of a few damage assessment projects.

Almost always someone will comment – all that safety equipment didn’t work too well.

What they are looking at is warped, hanging doors, containment box sides ballooned, slagged interiors and even copper plating on a lot of the larger chunks that stood fast.

You have to point out that the surrounding cans and the room itself are intact. The safety features did exactly what was intended → they contained the plasma ball long enough for it to idle down to a less destructive format.

A loud bang and a room full of smoke beats a room full of plasma.

For this fire containment, it appears the Glowforge did what it was designed to do.

9 Likes

Nope. Made out of a glowforge.

6 Likes

I noticed that the laser glasses on the lower right side seem to be unscathed. Had he been watching the fire with those on, at least his eyes wouldn’t have gotten burned, as well. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

I got that all the time with people in car accidents bitching about the damage their car took. It wasn’t until someone pointed out that a) you’re alive and unhurt and b) see a if you still don’t get it.

Cars crumple like tissue paper now and way less people get impaled by their dash knobs and die. But yep, it does sort of take care of being able to reuse the protective containment vehicle :smile:

3 Likes

There was at one point a low volume manufacturer that used a Volvo base but made a flexible epoxy body for it so if you got into an accident both cars would be crumpled up but when pulled apart one would go !POP! And be good as new. One supposes that bad enough to bend the frame or too many of the same kind of accident that fatigue would allow damage, but for run of the mill dents and misadventure the effects would be invisible. I only saw one and the owner bragged about the nature of it, but I never could understand why such thoughts were not more widely put to use.

I’m of two minds in regards to that photo. I’m very impressed by how well the fire was contained, although I don’t know how much thermal energy the glowforge handled. Assuming it was a good amount of material, and how there doesn’t appear to be any significant smoke damage, kudos to the engineers.

On the other hand, I opened my homeowners and auto insurance renewal notices yesterday. Knowing what I get in a total loss, and assuming all living creatures are out of the house, a highly flammable glowforge may not be the worst thing ever :thinking:. What is the worst thing ever is something between a scorch mark and a total loss. Burn up only a room or two and your insurance company will make sure you’re worse off than before.

4 Likes

If they cover damage caused by a GF fire at all…tgings can get tricky there.

I think you’d be okay as long as you hadn’t sold anything from it and they could claim it was a business. If you left an iron on and it started a fire they’d have to cover it. Speaking of which, I just had some floors refinished and there was only one stain they couldn’t sand out. A stain that looks a lot like an iron. That said, you never know what an insurance company will try to do. Luckily, juries hate insurance companies so they usually just try to drag it out and wear you down rather than actually going to trial. As I don’t iron more than once a year and it doesn’t look like my glowforge is going to be much of a hazard, I’ll most likely never find out. Not necessarily a bad thing.

3 Likes

Wipe it down with a couple of Zeiss wipes - should be good as new…:neutral_face:

7 Likes