Caution: Dirty Pictures....or...How I Cleaned the Exhaust Fan šŸ¤”

Did the same but as for brushing the electrical stuff ā€¦little weary

1 Like

I use a shortened soft bristle tooth brushā€¦

1 Like

or at least weā€™l make the effort :slight_smile:

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t worry too much about the electrical stuff. Itā€™s just insulation for them, and thatā€™s not going to hurt anything. Itā€™s the moving parts that matter.

4 Likes

I have had a lathe and vacuums short out due to a buildup of dust and dirt on contacts that are next to each other if not kept cleanā€¦

1 Like

I bought one of these and cannot get it working with any of my three Android devices. is there anyone else whodid so and how were you able to do that?

1 Like

Lathes and vacuums are subject to conductive particles; metal bits and such. I donā€™t think ceramic dust and wood ash would cause the same kind of issues, although Iā€™ll freely admit to having been wrong about things a time or two in the past. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Thatā€™s new! :wink:

4 Likes

Well, there was that one time when I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I had been rightā€¦ :laughing:

(Tim already knows, but for the rest of you, this was totally stolen from our dad!)

5 Likes

So was wrong about being wrong? :thinking:

4 Likes

A mistakeā€™s a mistake, even when you were just mistaken about being mistaken. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

Or for those with overpowered exhaust fans that cause the GF exhaust fan to rev up - just turn the external on and blow with canned air.

1 Like

Anyone try trained hamsters wrapped in microfiber jumpsuits? :thinking: Jules - what do you think caused most of the ā€œbuildupā€ wood? acrylic? leather? or just all 3ā€¦? (tile? paper?cardboard? bologna?..)

13 Likes

:rofl:

That just made my day.

1 Like

Fairly sure it was the bologna. (Or maybe the plywood. But probably the bolognaā€¦it wasnā€™t Oscar Mayer.)

2 Likes

Worked like a charm, thanks!

25 Likes

I went off to a reunion ā€¦ and you stayed home and worked! Thank you so much for the write-up and photos! Just canā€™t wait to give this a go! :thinking:

Well, I may not be truly excited ā€¦ but, I do feel better equipped to handle the job now!

2 Likes

Sounds like funā€¦hope you guys had a good time! :smile:

1 Like

Having worked on computers since 1980, I disagree. too much gunk built up on transistors, capacitors, etc. can cause over-heating. Nothing so eerie as seeing one of those little can caps popā€¦

Not likely to happen here, but definately wish this fan/control stuff was a slide in/out moduleā€¦ hey glowforge design team? for v2ā€¦ @dan ā€¦ MODULAR!

6 Likes

Youā€™ve got 6 years on me, so I guess Iā€™ll have to concede. In all my computer-fixing days, though, I never saw dust/dirt hurt one except in moving parts. :wink:

2 Likes