Cedar

I have some gorgeous Cedar 1/8" planks, but am not able to figure out the right setting for a cut. I went with the thick maple plywood, but it didn’t even score underneath. I notice there are not cedar PG materials. Any suggestions?

Check out #6:

2 Likes

My suggestion is to test. There is joy to be had in dialing in the settings to get what you want.

1 Like

@PrintToLaser simultaneous concurrent answer high five!

2 Likes

Here’s what I have saved for 1/4" cedar closet lining from a few years ago for my Glowforge “Basic”.

The four small holes were used to “dial in” the speed.

Single pass for 1/8" cedar? Your mileage may vary! :sunglasses:

BTW: Cedar is a smoky, oily wood in the Glowforge. I don’t recommend cutting a lot of same

4 Likes

I do the cedar planks used for grilling with success. I don’t think it’s as dense or aromatic as closet lining so it’s no worse than many other woods in terms of residue. Slight fragrance when engraving but it dissipates pretty quickly.

4 Likes

Thank you! This link will be very helpful moving forward. So much information is out here so appreciate the nudge to the right area.

1 Like

Thank you! I tried your settings and they worked perfectly. I’m starting a little cheat sheet. Good to know about the stickiness. I am only using for a few inlay pieces.

You may find the GF Material Settings tab on this sheet to be very useful. I used this all the time when I was starting out :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Do you still have this cheat sheet?

No, its creator deleted it, but there’s a different one out there now that some folks have found as helpful :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the updated link; maybe THIS time I’ll remember to make a local copy!

1 Like