Ceiling Medallion Made on the Glowforge

Long time lurker, first-time poster.
We just bought our first house this year and decided to make this ceiling medallion after unsuccessfully searching online for one that would work in our tiny bathroom but also not break the bank.

Finished project first:

The medallion is made from 1/4 inch plywood and designed in Illustrator in layers. Each layer was cut in half with a puzzle piece tab to make it easier to fit them together before gluing. I chose not to use the passthrough because I knew we would paint it and I was lazy.

The pieces were laminated together with wood glue and clamped and clamped and clamped some more. There are six layers (I think) to give it the depth we wanted.

After the glue dried, it was scraped and sanded lightly to clear off any squeezeout. Then the whole thing was coated with a layer of XTC-3D resin to help encapsulate it and cover some of the wood grain. Also, this helps it not to warp when I take hot showers. It has held up well for the last 6-ish months. It was then painted a rich deep almost black brown, and the gold was dry brushed over the top.

Pic with the chandelier:

91 Likes

That’s beautiful, thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

Oh, my! That is just gorgeous! :grinning:

2 Likes

that’s really cool. did you take any “steps along the way” process pics? those would be interesting to see.

1 Like

Amazing results.

1 Like

Looking good. Must also be a very nice bathroom to support such a chandelier :slight_smile:

1 Like

Excellent work.

1 Like

Not counting @polarbrainfreeze’s skyline medallion, this is the biggest escutcheon I can recall. Very nice look. Building up layer by layer with parts is good to get this depth. Nice color.

5 Likes

Wow, I love that.

1 Like

Wow, it was worth the wait! You should post more stuff—we always want to see.

2 Likes

I do have one of it after we cut the pieces. I will look and see if I can find any of the unpainted resin after we glued it up.

5 Likes

It is tiny and we started out joking about the chandelier and the more we joked the more awesome it sounded. If you have to have a small bathroom make sure it is fabulous!! :grin:

5 Likes

Any that I have I would be catching my chin on it or at least an eyeful of crystal :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well done! Looks excellent.

One heck of a first post! How many coats of XTC 3D did it take, and did the wood soak it up? I have some leftover from my 3d printing days but never thought to use it on wood! But that looks amazing!

1 Like

Thank you! I think there were only one or two coats. (My fella had the idea to use the XTC3d and did that portion) However, if I were going to do it again, I would use a sanding sealer first and give each layer a nice light sanding to knock down any grain that wants to lift. I think the unsealed wood was not the best idea because that allowed the grain of the wood to lift a little more than was expected and was a little against what we were going for.

I just might steal this!

I’m now mentally going around my house wondering, where could I get away with adding a chandelier… Awesome work!

2 Likes

Amazing work!

1 Like

Beautiful! So glad you posted … Please continue to do so!