Cell phone fix

repairs

#1

This is project #3. Project #2 needs a little bit of a write up. :slight_smile:

I recently replaced the battery on my Nexus 6P. The phone is largely held together with glue, so this involves a bit of work with a heat gun, loosening things up. I overdid it a little on this plastic panel on the back, and made a little bubble where there’s a small void underneath it, and also somehow I put a crack in the panel:

But, lasers to the rescue! Pew pew pew!

This would have been the perfect opportunity to use some proofgrade veneer with the peel off sticky back. I already had some non-PG oak veneer in my GF from the aforementioned project #2, though, so I put the old plastic bit from my phone on my flatbed scanner, traced the outline in Inkscape, and cut this out of a scrap. That meant I had to give it a couple of coats of polyurethane, and I used some 3M 77 spray adhesive on the back (I want something that’s not TOO sticky, in case I have to open up this phone again.) It would have been much easier to do this with proofgrade, and I wouldn’t be cleaning bits of 3M 77 off of everything. :stuck_out_tongue:


#2

Looks a whole lot nicer than the original too.


#3

Agree - It gives it some spark! :grinning:


#4

Very classy, indeed!


#5

The veneer is quite stylish. Looks like your mistake wasn’t a mistake after all!


#6

I like the wood accent a lot! Great solution!


#7

Nice recovery and customization with the :glowforge: