Celtic Knot Trivet

Well, come Tue, I’ll have had my GF+ for 1 week. Prior to it arriving I spent some time on here learning some sh…tuff and teaching myself Inkscape. Today I did my first real project, no guidance, feeling my way in the dark and all, never having used a laser printer prior to last Tue and never hearing about Inkscape before 2 months ago.

I had a photo of a Celtic Knot Trivet that I have hung on to with hopes that some day I could make one. I had to work it in Inkscape from a rough pic and build the pattern from the ground up, the artwork took me about 6 1/2 hrs., got a lot more to learn I guess. I had some left over 1/4" scrap wood from an old scroll saw project so I cleaned it up, sanded and masked it. I did a cut test on the two different kinds of wood, still got to learn more about that too. I did the cuts, it was a 3 level cut for 3 different types of wood so I had to be particular about what got cut where and how. Oh, almost forgot, I did my first manual settings for the cuts, that had me just a bit anxious but it was an accomplishment.

All said and done, I think I have about 11 hrs. in the whole project but for my first I think it came out pretty decent. My sister-in-law better appreciate it come Christmas!
Celtic Knot Trivet|666x500
Any constructive criticism would be helpful.

39 Likes

I’d say it came out a lot better than decent! Fabulous is more like it!

6 Likes

You did a lovely job, and I am sure she will like it very much. Since she doesn’t have a Glowforge (I am guessing) she will have no idea how much thought and effort went into this gift. Should you make others, I suggest you consider enlarging the words a bit.

9 Likes

I think the wood came out beautifully. For the future, I would also change the font. Larger, and something more in the Celtic theme… But then again, that could be overkill, not sure.

8 Likes

Thanks, the words were just an afterthought, I didn’t really want to overpower the art work, but yes you are right they could have been bigger but…I’m learning

9 Likes

In that case, you don’t even need the words :rofl::rofl: looks great without them.

7 Likes

yes but even as an after thought, it will personalize it for her and my brother, before the Covid, they did a lot of entertaining and the words seem to fit them. Definitely appreciate the feed back, it gives me things to think about and adjust moving forward.

5 Likes

I love Celtic knots and that one is beautiful.

5 Likes

My perception? Perfect!
It has a “polish” on it that reflects a design skill beyond a novice. Nice work! :sunglasses:

6 Likes

I think it’s beautiful. Very fond of Celtic work.

4 Likes

I think this is really lovely…especially for your first project from concept, to design, to completion. Congrats…you’re on your way!

5 Likes

A gorgeous piece of work. I understand making do with what is handy so not really a criticism but I would try to have the grain run with the wood and not use MDF for very much (though I may be in a minority on that point) I have discovered that unless totally sealed it returns to its original sawdust way too quickly,

Also, I run this for each new material and keep it as a reference set of what works and what doesn’t, and what settings will burn it or not.

3 Likes

Wow, we are looking forward to seeing more of what you make. Very nice gift.

2 Likes

Stunning work! Admittedly, I have a wee soft spot for all things Celtic, but that doesn’t change the fact that this is absolutely beautiful.

6 Likes

This is amazing for your first design! I really look forward to what other designs you come up with!

I think you are going to be a great addition to this community!

6 Likes

That’s lovely

3 Likes

Thank you all, as a community, you are more than kind. I have some sh…tuff in the works.

5 Likes

Super nice layered design—well done!

3 Likes

Lovely project - too pretty to put hot items on and possibly mess up! I’m looking forward to seeing what else you make.

3 Likes

I love the layered design of this. It makes for a really nice contrast.

2 Likes