Ceramic Tile + Calligraphy Ink

That’s a cool map. Do you use museum websites or is there a better source for these kinds of maps?

The 12 hour engrave was a 11x14 tile of the surveyor. The graphic I used on that was also used on a 675DPI engrave, but it was a 4.25x4.25 tile. I’ll try the same graphic & size again on the 11x14 with 675DPI and see how it looks. The gradient/shading on the 1355DPI engrave is absolutely the best result I’ve had so far, but I’ll do a real apples to apples comparison when I get home tonight.

3 Likes

I use the Rumsey collection, which will absolutely blow your socks off. I was sent here by a friend in the GIS community and have been addicted ever since.

I Feel like I’m about to put a needle in your arm… https://www.davidrumsey.com/

5 Likes

Haha, I baited my dad with that one when I sent a picture last night. He can’t stand Ben Stiller and hasn’t seen the movie.

4 Likes

@d_west, you just opened a whole new rabbit hole for us map lovers. Thank you!

5 Likes

There’s a wealth images in here that are perfect for engraving (with a tiny bit of prep).

Just FYI, these are not free for commercial use. See the about section on the website for contact info.

3 Likes

Thank you and everyone else that is willing to share the hard work of experimentation. Not only do you help and inspire the community, but you open up more time for others to explore different options and hopefully share what they have found! Beautiful work! I’m inspired again to do more tile!

2 Likes

Does anyone have a link to an SVG for some sort of tile stand to prop these up on a table? I thought I saw a few of those here before but haven’t been able to find them.
edit: Ahhhh, nevermind…Found it! Free Art / Book Stand
Thanks @Janerlea !

2 Likes

This is absolutely one of the best posts I have read here at GF about engraving tile.

Thank you so very much for taking the time to share!!!

1 Like

Thanks! I guess you’ve gone hunting through loooooong threads for recommended settings and workflow just as many times as I have…

2 Likes

The ink gives such a beautiful, warm result. I have done a lot of old maps etc. and this inspires me to get back to the “want to do” pile. :slight_smile:

This is a webpage that links to numerous map sites and it’s an amazing resource. You just put in your search terms and it gives you a preview and link to the master site. It also has maps of the world and you can move to an area and it pops up all the links to old images/maps of that area. It’s super cool.

http://www.oldmapsonline.org/

We had several map discussions early on and this one has some good links too.

2 Likes

what do you people mean by “you people”?

2 Likes

What do YOU mean by “you people”? :rofl:

I watched this movie again a month or two ago, seriously, crazy funny. RDJ is such a gem in this one, glad to see it didn’t affect his career.

3 Likes

Both Jamie Foxx and RDJ have both talked about it on Joe Rogan’s podcast.

Long story short, both of them know that “a line” exists and that his character was standing damn close to it, but they did a good job of making sure it was on the correct side. Also, ignore the people that can’t take a nuanced and objective look at the role.

2 Likes

:clap:

2 Likes

Here’s a few more. My garage is getting a little bit…silly.

6 Likes

Great projects.
I love the lady made of lines. I wonder how hard it would be to convert it to score lines. It would be fast and fun to watch the laser “draw” it.

3 Likes

Great write-up. It’s always fun to see what others come up with.

2 Likes

Super interesting post. Really like the process and your results are amazing! Thank you for sharing.

1 Like

@jestelle and @dklgood, you can try to generate your own line art with this online tool