Ceramic tile with tangle art engrave and decorative plywood frame

This is a prototype of a tile in a frame with my tangle art. I used basswood plywood for the frame, 4.25in ceramic tile from Home Depot, and black acrylic paint to darken the engraving.

I couldn’t rightly keep the art inside the frame, so I created more for the sides and trim pieces - came out really cute!

I drew inspiration for the tile frame from this post, then created my own in Illustrator: 4" Tile (4.25in x 4.25in) Frame - Flat or Wall Mount

The tile fits inside the frame perfectly, and I got the kerf so snug that there was no need for glue, except for some E6000 on the inside to hold the tile in and on the trim pieces in the front. I’m probably going to make a few more modifications on the trim pieces because I don’t like seeing the edges of the tiles inside the frame.

28 Likes

You’re reinventing mats. :slightly_smiling_face:

Matboard might be a good material to use here? It’s cheap and cuts/engraves well.

2 Likes

Beautiful work, and nice problem-solving on the corners, love how they match the sides…

2 Likes

Let the reinvention begin! :smiley:

I’m wanting to keep this frame made out of the same material, so I’m going to attempt to make a mat out of the same plywood/hardwood that the frame’s made out of.

1 Like

I never thought about putting a layer of ply outside the tile like that! Looks awesome, and the art is super cute too!

2 Likes

Very nice.