Cermark Ultra - leaving No marks - ideas?

UPDATE POSTED HERE:

Thanks!

Hoping someone can help (again - sorry). First time trying Cermark, and I have the Cermark Ultra that is suppose to mark a number of materials including metal. I started out with their recommendations, and went from there, but nothing left even the lightest mark (Images attached).

I tried:

• 1 light coat (that left a light gleam of metal through the coating)
  • 2 coats (that seemed like better coverage)
  • 200 s / 100 p / 450lpi
  • 300 s / 100 p / 450lpi
  • 450 s / full p / 675lpi
  • 300 s / full p / 675lpi
    And numerous settings in between these all using either 100p or full p and or 450lpi or 675lpi. Not a single test left even a faint gray mark. Iā€™m attaching images of the engrave (aluminum and brass), and a photo of the results (blank aluminum and brass).
    The metals were from flat sheet stock, so shouldnā€™t have a coating, and I cleaned it with alcohol.

Does anyone have experience with Cermark Ultra - any ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Kristy

1 Like

I think your speed is too slow. I would try 500/full/270.

CerMark doesnā€™t work on laquered surfaces, but it doesnā€™t look like your blanks have a coating.

2 Likes

First Iā€™d scrub thoroughly with alcohol to make sure there isnā€™t a coating - and then I found this video very helpful:

5 Likes

yea, I have all kinds of ā€˜copperā€™ blank plates, one etched fine, the other just wiped right off, it looks like the prep is really important, people pre clean the metal with acetone / alcohol, etc before spraying the stuff onā€¦

If you can do a small area on the backside as a test <?>

Jonathan

What he said. Cermark has to be in contact with the metal when the laser hits it. If thereā€™s a coating of any kind, it wonā€™t workā€¦

1 Like

Hereā€™s an oversimplified explanation of how it worksā€¦ The laser hits the metal, causing it to heat up. This causes the molecules so move more rapidly and expand. At the same time, the Cermark spray gets heated up and melts. With the metal molecules moving faster and expanded, the Cermark can get between the molecules. Then the laser moves on, and everything cools - leaving the Cermark trapped between the metal molecules. - Poof! Marks!

If thereā€™s a coating on the metal, itā€™ll block the cermark from getting between the metal molecules. - No marks.

(At least thatā€™s how it was explained to me - and it makes sense.)

9 Likes

You were right on the speed! I got it to stick at 600 / full / 270 ā€“ but not in a very quality way. The metals I buy are not lacquered, itā€™s raw sheet that I buy from a jewelry supplier (for other uses), but Iā€™m going to run a few more pieces after using acetone then alcohol ā€“ I was originally just using alcohol. So hopefully the acetone will help.

Thank you!

Interesting!
I knew the metal needed to be uncoated/cleaned just from the source documentation, but Iā€™m going back to see if ā€œcrazy cleaningā€ helps.
Thanks for the info!

Thatā€™s what Iā€™m trying next. :slight_smile: Thanks!