Change Text in a Purchased AI File

I bought a file on Etsy with a silhouette of an airplane and underneath it says “CUSTOM NAME”. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to change the text to be the name I want. I use Photoshop often, Illustrator occasionally and I’m learning my knowledge is more for photo editing and print layouts. I do not draw in either program and have not had a need for vector art. I have not been able to find any videos on changing text in an existing SVG file (maybe i’m asking the wrong question). I even took the original and put it in PS, cropped out the text, added my text and stumbled my way into outlining the image. When I opened it in GLFG it says the image is a bitmap. Any tutorials you know of that address such a situation?

Welcome to the forum.

If you wish to engrave the text in this file, you can prepare the text in any word processing document and save it as a pdf. If you have the Glowforge premium subscription, you can use the text tool to put in your text. If the text you wish is going to be a script font with overlapping elements, you will need to use a program such as Inkscape to prepare it. Finally, there is a very useful program https://cuttle.xyz/ that would enable you to easily prepare connected text for cutting.

4 Likes

If it’s a different colour than the rest of the parts you can ignore it in the GFUI. If it’s the same colour as everything else you’ll need to edit to remove the old one…that might be worth reaching back out to the designer.

Beyond that, yeah, what @dklgood said :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you want to engrave only, use Photoshop. If you want to cut,score, and engrave use Illustrator. Lines will cut and score, fills will engrave.

Change your text to outline paths.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.