Changing a PNG logo so that I can CUT it out

I am having some difficulty with my logo. I have it as a PNG but when I upload this to my glowforge, all I have the option to do is to engrave it. I want to cut this out so that I can glue it onto a sign. I have tried opening the file into Inkscape and converting it to a path but it doesn’t work.

Any tips, tricks, DUH DO THIS, will be much appreciated. THANK YOU!

I am attaching the image part of the logo here.

If you have the original logo in vector format that’s what you need.

Svg, .ai, maybe even pdf.

A png is what’s called a “raster” image and you can only engrave those.

That being said you can trace rasters to get a vector outline, but it’s never going to be as clear as if you had the original vector art.

Previous discussion of rasters and vectors:

https://community.glowforge.com/search?context=topic&context_id=115067&q=Raster%20vector%20in:first&skip_context=true

4 Likes

I have the logo in a SVG file but when I upload it to my glowforge app, it just comes over as a solid square with no actual logo. This is the SVG files, but it doesn’t look anything like this when pulled into glowforge.
Copy of New Everseen Creating Logo

1 Like

Yeah that SVG is just a square. There’s no logo in there.

1 Like

That’s so odd. When I am looking at it on my computer, it’s my logo but then when uploaded, it’s just a square. So frustrating!

When you upload an SVG into the forum it loses all the raster data.

1 Like

you can also use a website like convertio to change your file into your desired format

1 Like

Send me the file, I’ll cover you

2 Likes

That will have as much inaccuracy as any other trace method.

I went ahead and recreated the logo as a vector, (blue) then converted it to a solid shape (red) as well.

logofix

It’s not dead perfect compared to the original art, but it’s pretty close.

EDIT: I took a sec and fixed the one thing that wasn’t right, now it’s dead perfect.

7 Likes

This is one way to do it in Gimp.

3 Likes

Thank you all VERY much. I think I found a workaround. I uplaoded it to glowforge and then did a 0.0 inch outline and that allowed me to cut it.

4 Likes

I bet you’ll find the corners are soft on that outline. If you do, my vector version (the red outline in particular) is crisp and clean and can scale arbitrarily.

6 Likes

Here is the explanation I did…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.