Cheap Silhouette Cameo 3 Starter Bundle

Don’t know if this is going to be the stupidest thing I ever bought or the most fun. I was bored waiting on the Glowforge and tried making some inlaid chopsticks. My tapering skill proved to be lacking so an internet search found this which I debated for about a week and then ordered to try and make Christmas presents for this year.
http://www.bridgecitytools.com/default/chopstick-master-version-2.html

Unfortunately, like the Glowforge it has been delayed.

3 Likes

Ok first off I gotta say ya that’s expensive for a fancy vise. It does come with a block plane too though. That being said I think making chopsticks and then customizing them in the Glowforge would be awesome fun. Were you trying wire inlay?

Finally I got one Cameo 3 to replace my Cameo 2. It is in perfect shape, so I’m gonna sell it :slight_smile:

Thanks for the deal!

2 Likes

I`m a bit late to the party, but decided to comment anyway.

I’ve been using a Cameo 1 for about 5 years, cutting mostly heat transfer vinyl for garment decorating.
Weeding can be a right pain, but a lot of things can help to speed it up.
The vinyl you are using can make a HUGE difference. The one I’m using is Stahl`s cadcut, and the current version weeds like a dream. In general high tack for small details, low tack for large designs with minimal details.
Having the right weeding tool helps as well. I’m using the dental pick (eyegouger) tool, as it allows me to pick up several bits. The newer ones just push the previous ones further up the stick. Super handy when weeding letters. This is the tool I’m talking about: http://images11.palcdn.com/hlr-system/WebPhotos/29/292/2924/2924744.jpg

Having a good light is a must…

Also knowing your design and knowing which direction to start from makes a big difference as well. Let`s say you are weeding a capital E letter. Weeding left to right either tears the vinyl or picks up your letter, while starting from right to left pulls out the little bits enclosed in the letter and you can weed in one pull.

One thing I haven’t tried is a heated table. Apparently that can speed up the process as well.

7 Likes

Thanks for that tidbit of info. Woot sounds like an interesting concept, but I’d be far too tempted by the daily bargains for my own good.

Good luck on one of those BOCs, though!

3 Likes

I’ve won the BOC about a half dozen times now. Mostly junk, but one time, I got a Roomba!

2 Likes

Buddy of mine got a TV out of it once!

1 Like

I use buttonboy.com for button making supplies. Who do you use??

1 Like

Did you mean buttonboyinc.com? Buttonboy.com isn’t a valid website.

2 Likes

Whoops…yeah buttonboyinc.com. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

It came with several hundred buttons-worth of blanks and backs.

6 Likes

Woot has the Silhouette back on sale for $199 if anyone’s still interested.

5 Likes

Dang, I wish I could justify the cost. I think it’d be neat to play with!

4 Likes

It’s so fun! Check out one of my favorite blogger’s site. Her creations are amazing! http://underacherrytree.blogspot.ca/?m=1

3 Likes

There’s some neat stuff there! Thanks for sharing.

1 Like