Cherry Laptop Dock

This is a checkmark on the long list of items I’ve been meaning to make for a long time. Guess with the last little shelf I made I got in the mood to design something else, and here we are.

The laptop fits in with the hinge both up and down, so I made sure to add a vent for air, unfortunately I forgot to add another one for the exhaust, so this will be going back into the forge eventually. I also added some felt so that I could get a firm fit so the laptop and wood aren’t rubbing against one another, as well as added a slot to route cables from one side to the other.

The wood slotted together with some persuasion, I can’t imagine that I could have measured this better for kerf! With additional use and time, that fit may eventually loosen, so my original plan of mounting this to the wall will have to wait for now.

42 Likes

That’s a boss practical cut. I love the details for the comfort of the laptop.

3 Likes

I’m pretty satisfied with the way it turned out! I think the felt really did take it to the next level, too :grinning:

2 Likes

Nice work, I agree about the felt. Like a hug for the laptop. :grin:

5 Likes

NIce work! Yes, the felt makes it great! Any concern for tipping? These things always seem thin to me. Mine end up clunky and wide so they won’t tip in the smallest of breezes.

3 Likes

The cherry makes it quite lovely. Great idea on the felt!

3 Likes

Great practical cut with a soft touch!

3 Likes

Since I originally designed it to be mounted to the wall, I wanted it to be thin with no standing support. After putting it together I realized it’s more convenient to move between rooms, and it actually stands firm on its own. I’m guessing the weight of the laptop makes it pretty sturdy, but a bump would still knock it over. A base for the dock would be easy enough to design and I may end up designing one for it, but for now I’m okay with how it turned out!

I was going to mount it so it would be easy to connect to our TV, but then I remembered I’ve got this fancy, near zero latency screen mirror device, so there isn’t a reason that I would need it directly connected.

The downside to the device is its range is fairly short, and it needs almost direct line of sight with its receiver, but testing it for an hour or so last night, the connection was great!

4 Likes

Zero latency screen mirror device? Hmmmm…will have to check that out.

Nice! It looks so professional.

1 Like

Here’s a link to a video about it. It was a crowdfunded type of deal, and some people have their complaints, but once you understand how it works, it works exactly as intended. Like I mentioned before, you just have to be within 15 or so feet of the receiver and have a pretty clear line of sight. Here’s a link to their indiegogo if you wanted to see their campaign directly. It’s a Chinese company, so from what I’ve read in the comment section, it’s difficult to get ahold of them and it takes a few weeks for the device to show up (sounds like another company I know :wink:)

1 Like

That looks great! Now I just need to buy a laptop and I am set! LOL

2 Likes

Alright, @MakerMatthew, you tickled my design bug so I had to make a stand.

Once again added some felt for a nice comfy fit between the two pieces, really like @PrintToLaser’s comparison to a hug :hugs:. Heaps more stable now, it would take a very careless bump or my two year old getting their hands on it for it to tip now!

Edit: That darn design bug has calmed down a bit, but now I’m thinking adding a silicon base to the stand would make it that much more stable over the felt that I put on it…good thing or bad, I don’t have any, so this will have to do for now.

5 Likes

I don’t know why, but it surprises me greatly to learn you don’t have a laptop. With all of your crazy fun designs, I guess I assumed you had some fancy Macbook and lived in a cushy loft in downtown San Diego :wink: Kidding on the last part, but really I’m actually finding more and more people that I know that don’t have laptops. I guess once you’re out of college their utility drops because of smartphones.

6 Likes

HAHA I have tried to work on a laptop but it’s just too small. I have my 27" Mac and if I need to take something on the go, I just grab my ipad. I have really never been able to work on a laptop.

3 Likes

Nicely done!!

1 Like

Hmmm. Will check it out. Not sure I need it but I say that about everything I order on indigogo and Kickstarter.

1 Like

According to my wife I didn’t need a Glowforge, but here we are with two!

3 Likes

That’s a good-looking stable iteration there! :sunglasses:

2 Likes