Chess Set for Gkid

Last year Gkid and I made a checkers set for her (Checkers for Gkid). Since then, she’s learned to play chess.

Since she had a birthday coming up and HQ was able to get my GF working again temporarily, I decided to make a chess set to fit her board, and a box she could store them (and the checkers) in. I didn’t have enough of the colored birch ply left to do anything but some red hearts, so I did my best to approximate the gray with some pearl black acrylic paint and Baltic birch, and cut the chess set from red and black PG acrylic.

The chess set is from GrabCad (https://grabcad.com/library/laser-cut-chess-set-1), except for the knight, which I altered to look a little more horsey.

The box is a Cartonus pattern (http://cartonus.com/product/box-with-sliding-bolt-latch/) sized up to be large enough to fit the pieces into, and lined with leather to reduce the rattle a bit. Except it turned out to be a pretty tight fit…I’ll probably eventually replace them with a 3D printed set, but for now, she’s happy with these. :slight_smile:

IMG_2993

IMG_2996
IMG_3001
IMG_2998
IMG_3009

Of course, we immediately had to play a game, and she was thoroughly trouncing me when her 3yo brother came along and drove his dump truck across the board, knocking pieces every which way and saving me from losing face. Lucky for him she’s a very patient little soul, and didn’t even get upset about it! :wink:

47 Likes

Very nice! If she has any sense at all she’ll still have it when she is your age.

3 Likes

Those pieces look cool, gkid looks happy. A win!

3 Likes

Nice project. It seems to me the Glowforge is a great tool for bringing family members together.

2 Likes

Ooooo, nice box! Love the latch and the inlaid hearts. Now I wanna see the horsier knight.

2 Likes

I am sure you will play many games with her.

1 Like

Wow so many great presents for her! So much better than knitted socks!
You must be her favorite G Ma!

Next step teaching her Go?

4 Likes

She must be a smart cookie! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I forgot to grab a photo, but here’s the SVG:

Knight

6 Likes

Yeah, she’s kind of scary smart. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

That turned out great. I really like how red ply looks. Awesome job.

2 Likes

That turned out really great. Nice job!

2 Likes

Ahhh, the classic Helsinki dump truck gambit. Slide the kid a cookie and look so surprised when a dump truck wipes out the medieval armies. :grin:

Nice game set.

5 Likes

Adorable! Love the hearts! Love this particular box … Need to make another one.

1 Like

Ah, I thought it was called the Tonka Takeout Technique

3 Likes

Beautiful box and board. The pieces are a great 3D approach without a 3D printer.

1 Like

Yeah, it was, but then Tonka Toy sued about Trademark…:grin:

1 Like