Christmas Basket Name Tag and Bottle Opener

Added a glowforge touch to my gift for my father. I used 5mm underlayment, I got an uneven color in the engrave so I sprayed a little black to darken. Then I sanded the top layer and removed the darker wood layer and found a knot. Not what I planned, but still made it work.

Instead of engraving the metal on a bottle opener, I glued two pieces of proofgrade cherry onto a steel bottle opener.

Here it is all put together.

The font being so close to the root beer label was coincidence.

Cedar Bottle Openers

threading the engraved wood onto the basket was a stroke of genius. That looks great.

Very nice! I think veneer has a lot of possibilities that haven’t been realized. I have to keep reminding myself about it.

I used Medium Cherry Hardwood for the opener. But know that you mention it veneer might have been a better choice.

Now that is a cool guy basket! Great job! :sunglasses::+1:

Oh! For some reason I read it as veneer, I don’t know why.

Nice job on the work around engraving with metal!

Wow … This is so well put together!

the extra positive for veneer is that you can buy it already having adhesive backing on it. just peel and stick after you cut/engrave.

Hey @bwente, I just purchased some similar bottle openers and was wondering what adhesive you used for attaching the wood and how it’s holding up?

I used Loctite glue. It was a gift so not sure how it is holding up, but it felt pretty solid. I thought about drilling some holes in the stainless to allow more glue contact or roughing up the surface. But that seemed like work and I was in a hurry.

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/go2_glue/overview/Go2-Glue.htm

Recommended For

• Fiberglass reinforced polyester (FRP), rigid PVC, polycarbonate, polystyrene foam (Styrofoam®)
  • Wood, cork, varnished surfaces
  • Aluminum, stainless steel, copper, brass, steel, zinc
  • Glass, mirror
  • Paper, cardboard, leather, linen
  • Concrete, natural stones, tiles, ceramic

Outstanding news. My hesitation was about the smooth metal as well and I though about roughing it up. Loctite Go2 is probably my favorite glue and I even have it on hand. Thanks a bunch!