Christmas gift from the year 1272

My brother and I are both into English and American history, so this year instead of getting him yet another history book, I decided to give him a tiny bit of English history itself. I was able to purchase a silver penny that was minted sometime between 1250 - 1272 during Henry III’s reign. Now of course, I’ve got this laser cutter thingy so I decided to see what kind of display case I could make for it (that’s my “silver” tray in the background, by the way – not much silver left):

The coin is seated in an engrave between two pieces of PG acrylic. The back piece of acrylic is glued to PG Thick Cherry Plywood. I glued 4 magnets onto both the front and back pieces of acrylic so that the front piece could be removed to take out the coin.

I went back and forth on whether this is something he’d hang on a wall and finally decided against that. Instead I made a stand for it:

Putting it all together:

I’m pretty happy with it overall. I actually bought another old coin (this one from Henry VI’s reign) for myself and I’ll make a display case and stand for that one as well.

70 Likes

Very nicely done. I like the magnets to allow the coin to be removed.

I know nothing about such old coinage, so forgive my question if it seems naive.

Is the obverse side also stamped? If so, perhaps cutting a hole in the wood under/behind the coin would allow one to see the other side without removal?

6 Likes

Thanks. Yes, both sides are stamped. I hadn’t thought about cutting a window into the back piece of wood. It wouldn’t work, though, because I engraved a recess on that piece of acrylic so that the coin was flush with the surface. The engrave would basically hide the coin when looking from the back.

1 Like

Amazing! It looks so professional. If I had a unique coin like that, this is exactly how I’d want to display it. This would work for stamps, campaign buttons, or any other thin collectible as well.

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ll post the design over in #free-laser-designs after Christmas. I need to tweak the design of the stand a bit and won’t have time to do that until later in the week.

4 Likes

I like this very much! In fact, I also have a Henry lll coin like this. I used to buy odd lots of metal detector finds from the UK on Ebay and have quite a cool collection. I am truly fascinated too, by British and American history. Thanks for the great idea!

2 Likes

Well done! Very professional looking. I want one for myself now! :smiley:

2 Likes

That is so Very Very cool. Wonderful Job…!

2 Likes

Wow! That is outstanding!

2 Likes

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I should be able to post the designs for both the plaque and the stand (the corrected version) tomorrow night.

1 Like

My husband loves coins, history, and metal detecting. He will love this … Wonderful job!

2 Likes

That’s incredibly sharp looking. Love the history too.

1 Like

The SVG has been posted here:

5 Likes

Great idea to use magnets for easy removal. Awesome gift for a history buff!

1 Like

Oh beautiful job mounting that! :grinning: