Christmas in July Secret Santa Gift - Playing with MDF

Happy Sunday Funday!

Decided to try a new way to work with MDF. Scored the design, pulled off the major portion of the masking then sprayed 2 coats of Poly. Changes the color of the MDF and gives it a great look. Going to play around with it some more. This box has Cherry veneer to hide the edges and a sliding locking mechanism to keep it closed. The insert is removable in case you want just a box :slight_smile:

Forgot to mention the Ornaments. They are made with Linen Acrylic to look like Ice.

Fun to experiment!

53 Likes

Oh, that makes for a lovely Christmas present!

7 Likes

I love the technical details in your builds! You have great artistic qualities too, but the hinges and latches are what really catch my attention. You are such a great designer. I always feel like I learn so much from your shares!

6 Likes

So cool! I love the front latch…it’s da bomb! :smile:

5 Likes

This really is a fantastic design!! May I ask how you covered the edges? Did you use self adhesive veneer and cut the parts with the GF? Covering the finger joints in this way really makes it stand out !

4 Likes

Thank you So much. I am a details kinda guy. Everything has to work together. And it is so nice of you to say such grat things about my posts! I always want others to be able to fun stuff too!

3 Likes

Thank You! Yes the veneer is self-adhesive. Fun to work with, but you have to be fast, it doesn’t like to be moved once it’s down. LOL

1 Like

Thank you!!!

1 Like

Yeah. The ornaments were an afterthought. I really just wanted to make the box. LOL

3 Likes

Are you going to offer it in your shop?

2 Likes

I will be adding this week. :slight_smile: Working on something else right now that I wanted to finish first. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Awesome, as usual! Love it!

3 Likes

Awww thank you!

Your box turned out beautiful and I especially like the cherry bands on the box edges. Anyone would be proud to receive a gift like that. :grinning:

6 Likes

Thank you! I always worry when sending blind gifts. I mean I know what I like. LOL

4 Likes

It is indeed an amazing look, but It is like the design far exceeds the material. And then just when you are wondering if the box contains the crown jewels it contains Christmas Ornaments? I was thinking at first they were coasters but at least they could be used year round.

Your talent is huge, IMHO you should be using materials and use of the result to match,

2 Likes

I totally get it. I kinda like making the mundane special. I know MDF isn’t the best material. But it can be cool to work with. :slight_smile: And thank you I am not sure about such high praise. To me, it is something I have always done, so it seems normal to me LOL.

5 Likes

Very impressive!

2 Likes

Brilliant gift set! Love the simple change of color on the MDF. Really dresses up a ‘meh’ material.

3 Likes

Raising the bar again and again. Thanks for sharing. You have taken rather ordinary materials and made an impressive presentation box.

4 Likes