Christmas Light Storage Spools

Putting away the lights today and need a better way to store them. One spool uses one flap of a “1BF” size box from Amazon. Prints in 1:47 with .165 thickness 300/85 cut and 500/50 score.

The tabs might be a bit short, but I just glued them. I think it will last longer than trying to do a locking tab of some sort, but feel free to modify.

xmas light spool

The preview has very thin lines, but the file is there just above.

49 Likes

It holds about a 15ft strand of small lights.

3 Likes

Very cool! I might just make up a bunch of these. Won’t need them until Easter, that’s how long the better half likes to leave the tree up.

5 Likes

Great organization idea!

1 Like

Wow, excellent way to reuse cardboard from this years gifts!

1 Like

A packed up and ready to go into the attic.

14 Likes

So clever!

2 Likes

Great idea! Thank you for the file! This will come in handy.

1 Like

Made some easy to use reels on a scroll saw many years ago (like picture below). Can counter grab the tips and use a winding motion to wind up and also unroll the lights. Very handy for those long runs outside…

Now I have to decide if I want to make more of these, or up my game and make a real reel.

Who am I kidding? Will probably do both, heh.

5 Likes

we only needed to light for a single🌲

I wanted to do just a flat rectangle with some slots, but my wife said the spool would be easier to unwind when putting it up next year.

This is a great idea. Thanks for sharing. Some of my favorite projects are related to organization.

@brokendrum, yes, both!

Clever idea. You’re going to thank yourself next year when you go to put up the lights!

Just made these, thanks for the great design!

1 Like