Christmas Tree Spiral Design

Wood would surely work. You’d need to adjust for wood thickness.
I wanted to use clear acrylic so it could be edge lit at night. Even without a foot to fit in the LED slot, the acrylic does a fair job just sitting on the LED slit.

6 Likes

Way cool! Will you post the double spiral? would love to make one.

A great way to light up the tree would be to use a multi color led, comes in round cylinder 1.5" diameter by 7/8" tall with remote control. It can be easily hidden in circular base. Easily found on the internet. I dare not include a link for fear that it’s not allowed. I read, or tried to read terms of service but the legalize defeated me.

5 Likes

No reason here to prohibit posting a link to a source of LED bases. You’ll find many here if you do a search on them.

7 Likes

The second photo at the top shows the tree on one of the LED edge-lit bases. Also the video shows what it looks like in the dark with no modification of the support.

2 Likes

Here is the X-cross design making the double spiral. Use the support and star from SVG’s above:
Christmas Tree spiral X-cross design chamfered 39 pieces summary

22 Likes

This is delightful! Thank you very much!

5 Likes

This looks great! Thank you so much for the share. I am going to make one to put in my craft room!

5 Likes

LOVE this, I am going to make one for our tree collection - we have various Christmas trees from around the travels we do, this one will be a good reminder of our home in the woods :wink:

7 Likes

Oh man, you beat me to it…and now I don’t have to! Thanks for the share! This was on my list to make and yours looks awesome!

3 Likes

Wowwizzerz that’s a nice design!!!:clap::clap::clap:

3 Likes

Hoping for no kerf/fitting problems if anyone tries the design.

1 Like

Hello, I am truly inspired by this design! Thank you for sharing. I am planning on making the double spiral. I assume this is 1/8th acrylic? Is it easy to assemble? Please advise me. I can tell how intricate it is. You are very talented.

3 Likes

I used clear acrylic with no-mask thickness between 0.109 and 0.111 inches. Whatever source you have for the acrylic, Proofgrade included, the thickness varies from corner-to-corner.
Acrylic joints are harder to fit than wood, so before cutting all parts it’s a good idea to make test pieces to be sure the material thickness and the finger/slot dimension on the drawing will work. I had to sand the center trunk of the support to get fits of the branches on the trunk. Be careful not to break the trunk while sanding.
Assembly is easy, if the parts fit.

6 Likes

You are very generous; thank you for the designs.

4 Likes

Thank you for the information. I have another question. What is the order of the cross double spiral tree? I see color coding is that the key? Which do you start with? Thanks for helping me be very successful.

4 Likes

After cutting all of the branches, lay them out in order starting with largest and ending with smallest. Then put the largest on the mounting trunk first and mount each size sequentially ending with the smallest. The tip edge of a branch should just touch the branch edge just below it when the desired rotation angle is used.

4 Likes

Keep track of the top side of the branches after masking is removed. Because of the slight taper to the cut at the edges, mounting is a little easier if you flip a branch over when threading it onto the trunk. So top of branch is first to touch the trunk. This side has slightly larger opening than bottom of brunch.

4 Likes

Good afternoon, I am making the double spiral. So far I made the trunk and base and cut out the testing square. It keeps breaking when I try to put it on the trunk. It does go on but it’s too snug.

1 Like

My idea for the test piece and the trunk was to make these before cutting all the rest to be sure the material thickness and kerf would work. Try inserting the top of the trunk held at about a 45-degree angle into the test piece with its top-side up. (This presents the larger slot side to the trunk. This would test the material thickness and the narrow dimension of the slot in the test piece. If this fits, then I would work on the trunk by sanding/filing its wide dimension/width carefully to avoid breaking until the test piece fits onto the trunk.

1 Like

Thank you I will try that.

Leslie Nickerson

| brok09 Owner
September 21 |

• | - |

My idea for the test piece and the trunk was to make these before cutting all the rest to be sure the material thickness and kerf would work. Try inserting the top of the trunk held at about a 45-degree angle into the test piece with its top-side up. (This presents the larger slot side to the trunk. This would test the material thickness and the narrow dimension of the slot in the test piece. If this fits, then I would work on the trunk by sanding/filing its wide dimension/width carefully to avoid breaking until the test piece fits onto the trunk.

2 Likes