Cigar gauge

cigar

I got into the habit of making presents for my husband’s friends as well as family and my friends - besides the fact that he cleans my Glowforge for me! - because they provide new sources for inspiration (ham radio, motorcycles, F1, etc.). This time the Cigar Enthusiast deserved some :glowforge: stuff made for him. I found a photo of a cigar gauge - with a ruler on it, so I used that to measure everything and create this gauge from scratch. Filled the engraved parts in with an oil paint stick (applied before taking the masking off, but still a bear to clean up). But you could reverse the whole thing and that would work too. Mine is personalized and you can do the same. Don’t ask me what use it could possibly be other than measuring your cigar’s circumference - but the cigar aficionados would know. Caveat - I have not tested this for accuracy either - I guess we’ll find out once our friend tests a few - if he’ll tell me…

For personal use only as per forum rules !
cigar cauge.pdf (24.7 KB)

The box he’s getting as well:

IMG_3004

34 Likes

Thoughtful gift idea!

Can you elaborate on how the paint cleanup was a bear?

1 Like

Even though I left the masking on for the application, after weeding, it still smears around the areas. I did use a alcohol pad inside a tissue to wipe off the paint stick residue - carefully.

I made one of these and just haven’t gotten around to posting the build and the files. I’d is a full sheet of proofgrade cherry and I want it to be the bottom of a serving tray. Need to get the sides glued in to complete the box (hardwood not laser processed) and then pour epoxy over it. I have shapes and names for standard sizes.

I did my ring gauge chart with a spreadsheet. Since they go in 1/64ths of an inch, I got that figured out and then did a kerf compensation so that when I cut the holes, they were within a thousandth. It was tedious, but with the spreadsheet generating the numbers and labels a lot easier.

5 Likes

Then yours is going to be wayyyyyy more accurate than mine!!! :+1:

Good to post a reminder. I think a lot of people overlook the fact that designs shared here cannot be used for commercial purposes.

I do have to ask - why would you need to measure the size of a cigar?

2 Likes

I don’t see it as measuring the cigars as much as giving a frame of reference for purchasing a cigar that says ring size 48 or 56 or something. How fat is that going to be? After a while, you get a sense for these dimensions. But for some folks it’s helpful.

Another thing is to check if the cigar is really made to specs. I’ve not had an issue with it, but some folks might be a bit picky. 1/64" is quite small of a difference, but not negligible when checking a whole box.

2 Likes

I never realized it made any difference how “fat” they were. (I don’t smoke)

2 Likes

Same here.
Thought you just bought a box by name brand and the size was default whatever.

1 Like

Yeah, I was really curious as to why you measured cigars???

1 Like

You know, it’s a guy thing I guess.

It’s pretty amazing that the premium cigars are still all hand rolled. There are presses and jigs to assist with sizing, but it is pretty much done by hand. the idea is to get a bundle of exactly similar cigars with length and girth. So the ring gauge measurement is often a sign of quality control.

Here is a bitmap of my design. I patterned it after a fairly common image depicting the classic size/shapes of cigars.

12 Likes

That looks very cool for a cigar aficionado!

3 Likes

When you do get your svg done, I’ll be sure to send them your way instead of my file in the 1st post.

1 Like

I vaguely remember watching a program about a company that made hand-rolled cigars. Pretty sure it was in Cuba. Wish I could remember what it was on.

1 Like

Well, there is the famous cigar roller guys on Seinfeld who slept in the bureau. The denouement is pretty funny.

1 Like

I’m sure, like whiskey, there are nuances “the great unwashed” don’t understand.

I’m genuinely curious…

Also amused thinking about a bunch of smokers sitting around comparing girth. Easier to do at home vs., say, fishing.

2 Likes

I guess it all comes down to how many layers of tobacco leaves where used and how thick they were and how tightly they were rolled…

1 Like

Exactly. The fermenting/aging of the tobacco. The varieties of tobacco and conditions. It’s like wine or whiskey. Chasing those nuances of flavor/smell. Of course tobacco has its downsides for sure, but it is an amazing thing what cultivators and manufacturers have done to make the most extraordinary variety.

3 Likes

I’m sure he will love it. The box is very nice! Any time we can key into what a person’s interests are, it’s sure to be a hit.

1 Like