Class Action Lawsuit for False Advertising

Hello everyone!

So, I recently purchased a glowforge and on the very first day of unboxing it did not work. Within 48 hours of continuous opening and closing the lid and letting it “download packets” with the lid open and turning it off again and then turning the modem off then turning them off in alternating order blah blah blah blah and oh yea, checking all the connections on the infamous black cable it started working for about two weeks then started having the same issues. I then received my new black cable and I bet you can guess what happened next. Absolutely nothing. My uncle is a highpowered attorney who has experiences with false advertising suits and I am posting this on the forum to see if the rest of us are also interested in pursuing legal action. If this post gets taken down, then I will also make sure to have proof of that as well which will only strengthen the case. My friend writes for two major tech magazines and have shown interest in this as well and if there isn’t any mass change we will be writing up a few blogs and an editorial post that will hit the newsracks. I know glowforge has been able to continue this poor performance for the last few years but unfortunately they’ve definitely messed with the wrong business owner this time. I look forward to everyones thoughts on this issue and I hope we can come together and find a solution that actually works.

Feel free to shoot me an email at chris.s.connot@gmail.com or a text 6023234908. The more personal stories I can get the stronger our case will be. Further, the more shady and impersonal acts that glowforge partakes in, the stronger our case will also be.

7 Likes

Welcome!

Can’t wait to see what you make with your Glowforge!

7 Likes

You might this moved to Everything Else because the Problems and Support Category is a way that Glowforge support can give answers to problems. Forum users are invited to assist as possible. Most posts either get solved or taken to email

Since you don’t seem to be asking for Glowforge support. Too bad that you seemed to have gotten a lemon.

2 Likes

lol… I’m not the only one and I dont know who is actually a staff member and who is a ‘regular’ or ‘owner’ pretending to be supportive but this is obviously a widespread issue and I look forward to fixing this for the community.

3 Likes

Just so we can all see my original post

So, I recently purchased a glowforge and on the very first day of unboxing it did not work. Within 48 hours of continuous opening and closing the lid and letting it “download packets” with the lid open and turning it off again and then turning the modem off then turning them off in alternating order blah blah blah blah and oh yea, checking all the connections on the infamous black cable it started working for about two weeks then started having the same issues. I then received my new black cable and I bet you can guess what happened next. Absolutely nothing. My uncle is a highpowered attorney who has experiences with false advertising suits and I am posting this on the forum to see if the rest of us are also interested in pursuing legal action. If this post gets taken down, then I will also make sure to have proof of that as well which will only strengthen the case. My friend writes for two major tech magazines and have shown interest in this as well and if there isn’t any mass change we will be writing up a few blogs and an editorial post that will hit the newsracks. I know glowforge has been able to continue this poor performance for the last few years but unfortunately they’ve definitely messed with the wrong business owner this time. I look forward to everyones thoughts on this issue and I hope we can come together and find a solution that actually works.

Feel free to shoot me an email at chris.s.connot@gmail.com or a text 6023234908. The more personal stories I can get the stronger our case will be. Further, the more shady and impersonal acts that glowforge partakes in, the stronger our case will also be.

1 Like

As a fellow tech writer, I would hope your tech writer friend and high powered attorney understand what false advertising means, as well as libel. The product does exactly what it’s supposed to do. You have a faulty product. GF, I’m sure, is happy to get you one that works. They may even be willing to refund you. None of that constitutes false advertising.

But if you want to drum up support, I’d head to FB.

10 Likes

Perfectly fine. I am already in the process of doing that. I understand that for those fo you who have working machines and aren’t missing out on opportunities this might not seem like a big deal. Oh, just have glowforge fix it. But I am on crazy deadlines and was pointed towards this machine as a solution to my production problems and it has only caused more.

4 Likes

2 Likes

No. Absolutely not interested.

Have your lawyer uncle read the Terms of Service you agreed to before you get too far into it.

13 Likes

You know what, I get it. I would be just as angry. But that still doesn’t make it false advertising. In fact, you’ll be hardpressed to find a court that will even award you for hardship over something like this. You would be better served just getting a refund, choosing a different machine (ideally one that’s meant for serious business use), and focusing on serving your customers.

10 Likes

You chose a hobby machine to meet business deadlines? Was this advice from the same high-powered lawyer?

Love it!

10 Likes

Staff has “staff” after their names. “Regular” is a discourse thing for trust level 3. Most regulars have that title next to their name. Some don’t. Some just stay owner so as not to emphasize a distinction.

7 Likes

I though I made a rational decision when I trusted this company with $6000. I run two businesses where I engage with my customers and honor my commitments on a daily basis. The fact that I have so called community members trying to back this behavior is only more telling and even more ridiculous. Thanks for the help everyone

3 Likes

This is extortion, by the way.

15 Likes

:grimacing: I think I’d be scared of not fulfilling some kind of customer expectation of yours and getting sued over it.

5 Likes

I’m thinking 48 hours of continuously opening and closing the machine could have had something to do with your cable failure.

I also hope your high-powered lawyer relative is good at math. with 20,000 machines out there in use, the percentage of complaints is statistically very, very low. I get it that you’re upset your machine stopped working, but that’s the nature of complex electronics. It happens. That doesn’t constitute “false advertising.”

I’m on my fourth machine, but I couldn’t be happier with it. The company has stood behind their product and made it right for me, every time I’ve had an issue.

10 Likes

I am so sorry that your Glowforge isn’t working properly so soon after it arrived! We’re here to make sure you’re up and printing just as soon as possible! I am going to close this post as I’ve replied to the email you sent to arrange a replacement under warranty.

6 Likes

Some posts in this message were hidden by the system because Glowforge owners flagged them as inappropriate. I’ve restored the missing posts so others can see them. @thewileyrose, I’m so sorry you got a defective unit! Our team will get you squared ASAP.

10 Likes