Clear Acrylic size not available in store

I was hoping to purchase a few full sheets but only two sizes (5x10 or 20X48) are available not the one I need 12x20 - does this happen often?

Not sure what you mean by “often.” Sometimes things are in-stock; sometimes they’re not.

3 Likes

And sometimes they’re never in…the glass edge acrylic for instance. :smiling_face:

3 Likes

Can’t help but wonder what happened there. I still have some left, but it’s a real shame that they got it in stock just long enough for people to love it…then it’s gone…seemingly never to be seen again.

2 Likes

I’m saving it like I’m hording gold for the apocalypse.

'tis.

3 Likes

I think Johnson Plastics has it in stock.

6 Likes

Yes, they do. The size would throw me, though. I don’t know how I’d cut off the extra 4-5". I still have some PG, but if I get desperate…

2 Likes

ditto me

2 Likes

You can score & cut with a utility knife. Or use a jigsaw. Use the laser to make a clean cut.

4 Likes

I know that if you have a local hardware store, like Menards or Home Depot, they carry sheets of Clear Acrylic. My local Menards has 1/8" and 1/4" in 18" x 24" sheets and they go much bigger too on sheet sizes.

For the 1/8" you can just score and snap off the last 4". With the 1/4", you may need a jigsaw with a special blade to cut it off. The only downfall is that they carry EXTRUDED acrylic and not CAST. The difference is when the laser engraves CAST acrylic (which is what the Proofgrade clear acrylic is) then the areas engraved turn white. In EXTRUDED, the engraved areas are more clear with a slight haze.

I found this out the hard way… LOL.

3 Likes

Elaborating on what @jamesdhatch said: I use a long steel safety ruler and a utility knife to score, then snap it over a table edge.

3 Likes

Thanks for that valuable knowledge @violettatalley - I didn’t know the difference! :slight_smile:

Thanks everyone for your responses and @evermorian and @jamesdhatch for the tips on cutting the acrylic to size. Much appreciated! Everyone has been so helpful! :smile:

2 Likes

:grinning: :+1:

I hate extruded…have to do everything I can to encourage the use of cast acrylic :slight_smile:

One thing people fail to mention much with extruded is that it will snap easier and it leaves sharp pointy bits.

2 Likes

That’s a really good point. I know it to be true (and I’ve cut myself!), but I never really thought about it!

1 Like

Thanks for the conversation everyone – I’m going to bring your words to the team as feedback! When Proofgrade materials are back in stock, they will be made available in the shop.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.