Clicking sound during startup, maybe a fan?

Just started, when I boot up the GF it sounds like a clicking sound (kind of like sticking a piece of paper in fan blades) - I didn’t run a job because I am terrified something may break. The clicking sound continues after turning off as some type of “fan” slows down?

Where should I start looking for obstructions? Thanks!

That clicking is perfectly normal.
You can use it stopping to know when it’s ok to open the GF after a job has completed (if you’re not right at the computer to see the Finished)

If it’s clicking after the machine is powered down, you have some kind of obstruction contacting one of the fans.

The head cycles thru a range of movement for focusing the head, during initial startup and after completing a job. It’s four click, repeated every second, about 4-5 times.

Anything else needs to be looked into. You might want to post a video of the machine so we can hear the noise.

Let me get the video up now, it’s definitely not the normal clicking. I saw an article about cleaning the fans and it blew my mind :flushed: I was trying to find a manual or something that helped me locate this fan but maybe it’s through the back anus :crazy_face: :expressionless: :no_mouth:

Here is a not so exciting video:

https://

photos.app.goo.gl/ECYBiD9A8AxXmMyL9

Copy them together and paste in browser - the video wasn’t working in the chat

Sounds like something on the exhaust fan to me. Which machine do you have? The fan is easily accessible from the inside on the basic and plus, but the pro has a heatsink that makes it virtually impossible to access from inside.

Mine is a basic - would love an upgrade but I guess easy access is ideal right now - I don’t see any fans but was going to let my hubby look tonight

It’s inside the machine, in front of the exhaust vent on the left side.

Cool, will scope it out this evening and post results :smiley: Thanks for the quick responses!

1 Like

I’m sorry for the trouble with your fan. Over time, residue from printing can collect on the fan. This causes it to make more noise spinning than it did before.

I have a method you can use to clean your fan.

First, you’ll need to obtain a can of 3M Novec Electronic Degreaser, which you can purchase from Amazon or Digikey.

That page will walk you through the cleaning process. Brief summary:

1. Turn off and unplug your unit and move it outside. Make sure it’s in a location where it has power and Wi-Fi

2. Using the fan maintenance page, you’ll be able to turn the fan on

3. Following all manufacturer’s safety instructions from 3M, spray the degreaser into the fan while it’s running for approximately 5 - 10 seconds, or until the fan is clean.

4. When you’re done cleaning, turn off your unit to stop the fan, and return it to its usual home. You should now see considerably better performance from your exhaust fan!

Please let us know if you have any questions!

I hope your Glowforge is performing well for you. Since we haven’t heard back about this issue, I’m going to close this ticket. We want you to enjoy your Glowforge and are here to help.